Root Cause for 100 mbps

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
@PuckHead, are we talking about the RT-AC88U router all this time? :)

Try unplugging everything from it (Ethernet cables, USB cables/drives, WAN cable, Power cable, etc.) and leave it unplugged (but with the power switch 'on') for a couple of minutes.

Plug everything in again and see if you can get full 1GbE Port connection rates.

If that works, you may also want to not use the 5 to 8 Ports on the router either (they are known to be on a flakey switch).

PuckHead

Occasional Visitor
The Solution to get 1000 mbps was found. The problem was not cabling or interference. The problem was me.

To explain:

1. I wired my keystone connectors according to 568b. From left to right on the keystones, I used the correct 568b colors, starting with orange-white, orange, etc.

That resulted in 100 mbps.

because: The keystones had a strange color order from left to right to get 568b color sequence!!!

The solution: When I simply followed the strange color order on the keystones, the result was 1000 mbps at each jack.

Thought I should close this thread. My wiring skills have amazed the general public. Haha. Many many thanks for attention to this.

ddaenen1

We have all been there one way or another. ;)
Funny, that happened also to me first time i connected an RJ45 wall socket - exact same thing. I thought i was smarter than the color coding on the keystone. Only in my case, my RJ45 tester detected the terminal sequence was not correct :)

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!