What's new

Solved Root Cause for 100 mbps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@PuckHead, are we talking about the RT-AC88U router all this time? :)

Try unplugging everything from it (Ethernet cables, USB cables/drives, WAN cable, Power cable, etc.) and leave it unplugged (but with the power switch 'on') for a couple of minutes.

Plug everything in again and see if you can get full 1GbE Port connection rates.

If that works, you may also want to not use the 5 to 8 Ports on the router either (they are known to be on a flakey switch).

The Solution to get 1000 mbps was found. The problem was not cabling or interference. The problem was me.

To explain:

1. I wired my keystone connectors according to 568b. From left to right on the keystones, I used the correct 568b colors, starting with orange-white, orange, etc.

That resulted in 100 mbps.

because: The keystones had a strange color order from left to right to get 568b color sequence!!!

The solution: When I simply followed the strange color order on the keystones, the result was 1000 mbps at each jack.

Thought I should close this thread. My wiring skills have amazed the general public. Haha. Many many thanks for attention to this.

We have all been there one way or another. ;)
Funny, that happened also to me first time i connected an RJ45 wall socket - exact same thing. I thought i was smarter than the color coding on the keystone. Only in my case, my RJ45 tester detected the terminal sequence was not correct :)

Last edited:
ASIDE: becoming somewhat paranoidal regarding RFI, I just upgraded almost all my Ethernet cables (except the most important on - connecting main router with the node :))) with new CAT8(!) cables: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07QNWH9VK/?tag=smallncom-20 . Seems like latencies and speeds slightly improved, but this subjective. The gold plated fully shielded connectors give very satisfying "click" when you plug them :D. @L&LD - please tell me that CAT8 rated cables are indeed better shielded... wife was not very happy with the Amason bill for the cabling.. LOL

@PuckHead - on a serios note, if you are considering replacing cables, I do suggest you to look into CAT7 quality ones - they are not expensive, and unlike CAT6, CAT7 connectors are shielded, so they do not leak EMI, etc.

@Sky1111 I concur! The more CatX, the better! Hope this helps with the wife! :D

ASIDE: becoming somewhat paranoidal regarding RFI, I just upgraded almost all my Ethernet cables (except the most important on - connecting main router with the node :))) with new CAT8(!) cables: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07QNWH9VK/?tag=smallncom-20 . Seems like latencies and speeds slightly improved, but this subjective. The gold plated fully shielded connectors give very satisfying "click" when you plug them :D. @L&LD - please tell me that CAT8 rated cables are indeed better shielded... wife was not very happy with the Amason bill for the cabling.. LOL

@PuckHead - on a serios note, if you are considering replacing cables, I do suggest you to look into CAT7 quality ones - they are not expensive, and unlike CAT6, CAT7 connectors are shielded, so they do not leak EMI, etc.
I don't want to break your happiness. But that CAT.8 cable is...:confused:. 'Gold plated' doesn't mean the plug housing but pins. Good pins have 50μ gold plated. If the spec doesn't say 50μ something it's not 50μ usually. 26AWG is too thin for CAT.8. Most of cheap consumer grade CAT.6a, CAT7, CAT.7a, CAT.8 cables are a bad or fake marketing tactic. But that's enough for home use anyway.
I found a funny amazon review from your cable.
He cut his cable.
French>English google translation.
"The return strands are not identified by color. How am I supposed to put them in order in the connector?"

dhe.jpg

What do you see?

Last edited:

Thank you. Seems my woes were related to the order of cat 5e wires in the keystones, and not the cables or interference. Once I followed what the keystones required I got 1 GB speed. If I could, yes, shielded would be awesome and future proofed. But 1 GB should be useful for a while.

I don't want to break your happiness. But that CAT.8 cable is...:confused:. 'Gold plated' doesn't mean the plug housing but pins. Good pins have 50μ gold plated. If the spec doesn't say 50μ something it's not 50μ usually. 26AWG is too thin for CAT.8. Most of cheap consumer grade CAT.6a, CAT7, CAT.7a, CAT.8 cables are a bad or fake marketing tactic. But that's enough for home use anyway.
I found a funny amazon review from your cable.
He cut his cable.
French>English google translation.
"The return strands are not identified by color. How am I supposed to put them in order in the connector?"

View attachment 30261

What do you see?
Well, I do want to clarify: not trying to advertise a specific cable, more of making fun of myself:)
On a serious side - I got cables of various lenghts, so I do not need to splice anything. All cables seem consistent quality, arrived well packaged, and vast majority of reviews are positive. and a lot of pics that people shared, are true. So is it "real" CAT8? I do not know. Does it work for me? yes it does. Did I overpay for it? Don't tell my wife please :)

Well, I do want to clarify: not trying to advertise a specific cable, more of making fun of myself:)
On a serious side - I got cables of various lenghts, so I do not need to splice anything. All cables seem consistent quality, arrived well packaged, and vast majority of reviews are positive. and a lot of pics that people shared, are true. So is it "real" CAT8? I do not know. Does it work for me? yes it does. Did I overpay for it? Don't tell my wife please :)

1. Reviews: There are a lot of fake or promo reviews. Do not trust reviews too much.
2. Is that a real CAT.8 cable?: I don't think so.
3. Quality: Most of cables from Amazon are consumer grade made in China cheap low quality cables. That's ok for normal use. But professionals who works for ISP, IDC, enterprise something don't use those kinds of cables. They use cable vendors or manufactures which specializes in cables. But consumers don't have to buy it. That's unnecessary unless you should cable your whole house. Also plug quality is so important.
You may just look at these.

Last edited:
I was expecting 1000 mbps on my ethernet. Instead, I am at a stable 100 mbps on all 10 jacks (home set-up). Troubleshooting

1. will router give 1000 mbps? - yes (direct)
2. will lap-up execute 1000 mbps when direct connected to the router while the laptop is on battery? - yes
3. are all 4-pairs are lighting up when tested at wall jacks as being connected in correct order of 1, 2, 3 to 8? - yes
4. is the cable between router and jack labled as cat 5e? - yes. Does it look like 5e? - yes
5. I am using the same order of wiring at both ends - yes (568B)

I am concluding that the decrease to 100 mbps from 1000 mbps is caused between the router and the wall jacks. The connection is: ASUS router through cat5e cables to keystone connectors at each LAN plug. The length of the cabling is from 50 to up to 150 feet. But again, all 4-pairs light-up as being connected. That's what's driving me nuts.

Causes... ?

Keystone connectors? why?
Cable noise? why? The 100 mbps is stable...

I will appreciate forum expert ideas on: what are a few likely root causes for the speed to drop from 1000 to 100, when all 4-pairs indicate connectivity?

I have a beautiful (aka. stable, fast) MOCA ethernet on coax cable, which is working perfectly. But some rooms do not have cable jacks, but have ethernet jacks. I am interested in having the Cat set-up move to 1000 mbps.
This is purely cabling issue. There are so many suggestions here about adding a switch, not to insult anyone but adding switch will not work as it does not make sense. I have been successfully solving this particular issue with all sorts of low quality UTPs as well as high quality, it works on all so it is not a cable quality issue.

RESOLUTION: If your keystone jack and the RJ45 connector on the other side are not twisted pair (T568 A or B), you will NOT get more then 100MB speed whatever other work around you try. I have solved this exact similar issue for so many of my clients by simply changing cabling to twisted pair. (Provided switch/router is Gig). People mix straight cables with twisted pair which will cause same issues so ensure that all the cabling are twisted pair if you want GB connection.

Thanks....