What's new

Routed client possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PScott

New Around Here
Is a 'routed client' configuration possible on a AC86u with Asuswrt-Merlin?

I assume you mean a WISP (wireless ISP) router, where the WAN is virtualized over wireless to some remote AP.

As stated on the other thread, NO. But you can always patch a separate wireless ethernet bridge to the WAN port and achieve the same results. If you have an old router that supports dd-wrt, tomato, etc, it's easy enough to do. Of course, you can buy devices specifically for these purposes off Amazon, Newegg, etc. And in some cases, it's the better option, because you can buy such devices w/ uni-directional antennas and therefore *much* longer range than your typical router w/ its omni-directional antenna.

I picked up a GL iNet AR750S for traveling. It’s small and supports OpenVPN. I have my AX88U running as a VPN server and the AR750S as a client when I travel.

The AR750S has had stable WiFi and supports WISP to connect to hotel WiFi and then rebroadcast it as your own network. They advertise 17mbps vpn speeds but I usually get 10-12 which is fast enough for streaming.

They make some cheaper models but the VPN performance isn’t great on them. If I didn’t need the VPN performance I would’ve gone with one of the cheaper models.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GBXMBQF/?tag=snbforums-20

I assume you mean a WISP (wireless ISP) router, where the WAN is virtualized over wireless to some remote AP.

As stated on the other thread, NO. But you can always patch a separate wireless ethernet bridge to the WAN port and achieve the same results. If you have an old router that supports dd-wrt, tomato, etc, it's easy enough to do. Of course, you can buy devices specifically for these purposes off Amazon, Newegg, etc. And in some cases, it's the better option, because you can buy such devices w/ uni-directional antennas and therefore *much* longer range than your typical router w/ its omni-directional antenna.
What are these other devices called? Can you provide an Amazon link?

They're called Travel Routers. @Sobster88 provided in link in the previous post.
What are these other devices called? Can you provide an Amazon link?

Actually, I'm not describing a travel router, although @Sobster88 is. If you want a full replacement router which supports client mode (iow, a WAN that can be virtualized over wireless to a remote AP/ISP), then a travel router might well be the right device.

What I'm talking about is the ability to use your existing router (I assume you would like to do that) and converting the wired WAN port to a wireless client using a wireless ethernet bridge. You plug the wired ethernet side into your router's WAN and configure the wireless client for the remote AP/ISP. It's just a dumb bridge.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QXNWRWJ/?tag=snbforums-20

You can also find loads of these types of devices (esp. older models) on eBay.

AFAIK, the GL iNet AR750S may be configurable as a wireless ethernet bridge too (many such devices try to be a jack of all trades, and support several different modes of operation).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!