What's new

Router abilities

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bernd

New Around Here
Hi,

i own 3 RT68 Witz Aimesh. No i am thinking about to replace the main Router with a AC86u. The other will not gain the features from the 86u, right? Will it better to replace the main and the router where the most devices will connect to?
Replacing all three devices is to expencive at the moment.
Does it make sense to replace the devices?

Kind regards

Hi,

i own 3 RT68 Witz Aimesh. No i am thinking about to replace the main Router with a AC86u. The other will not gain the features from the 86u, right? Will it better to replace the main and the router where the most devices will connect to?
Replacing all three devices is to expencive at the moment.

Kind regards

If all works well enough now, keep it as it is.

If you add an 86U, make it the main router/root node... it is more powerful than the 68Us.

The 86U supports Smart Connect node band steering, but the 68Us do not, so this 86U feature will not extend to the 68U nodes. Therefore, you will continue using separate SSIDs for each band.

OE

If all works well enough now, keep it as it is.

If you add an 86U, make it the main router/root node... it is more powerful than the 68Us.

The 86U supports Smart Connect node band steering, but the 68Us do not, so this 86U feature will not extend to the 68U nodes. Therefore, you will continue using separate SSIDs for each band.

OE
If i add two 86u the 86u node will get or have the features smart connect and band steering, right?

If i add two 86u the 86u node will get or have the features smart connect and band steering, right?

Yes. But if you setup the 86U/68U AiMesh with Smart Connect using the same SSID for both bands, wireless clients connecting to a non-Smart Connect 68U node may not connect to the best band connection.

OE

Yes. But if you setup the 86U/68U AiMesh with Smart Connect using the same SSID for both bands, wireless clients connecting to a non-Smart Connect 68U node may not connect to the best band connection.

Yes, but that is the situation that i have now

OE

What issue do you want to solve? You expressed that you want to swap an 86U in for a 68U (or two)... why?

OE

Maybe i will have the ability to get one or two routers very cheap. The other reason is to implement newer network/router features to my network and grow up the possible speed - i know that i does not reach the speed max at the moment

Maybe i will have the ability to get one or two routers very cheap. The other reason is to implement newer network/router features to my network and grow up the possible speed - i know that i does not reach the speed max at the moment

A 2xRT-AC86U AiMesh can cover a very large house... how big is your space?

Some 86Us have reported radio trouble... I would favor new units, if possible, to avoid recycling someone else's trouble.

OE

A 2xRT-AC86U AiMesh can cover a very large house... how big is your space?

Some 86Us have reported radio trouble... I would favor new units, if possible, to avoid recycling someone else's trouble.

OE
55qm each floor and i have 3 of them. A Lot of iron between each floor. If it will be possible for me, i will buy the routers new so if there are problems i can return them

55qm each floor and i have 3 of them. A Lot of iron between each floor. If it will be possible for me, i will buy the routers new so if there are problems i can return them

Three levels at 600 sq. ft... small area but levels and iron. One router can cover that area but the levels and steel may make a difference... a 2xRT-AC86U Aimesh may do it. But the 3x68U could be good enough, too... be sure you know where you speed slow down is coming from or else you may not fix it with new routers.

If currently using wireless backhauls, have you checked the Wireless Log for their MACs, RSSIs, and Tx/Rx rates? These will give you some idea how fast the 68U AiMesh is linked at half-duplex vs. wired Gigabit Ethernet at full-duplex.

Have you performed a speed test connected directly to your ISP device/source?

New 86Us may bump wireless backhaul speeds up a bit, but will not fix an ISP-related speed issue.

OE

I have no ISP speed issues and use a LAN backhaul through DLAN. From my 150mbit internet connection i have 70-80 Mbit at the client. That is enough. The DLAN backhaul isn the best solution but not other possible.
With the 86u i grow up the possible WLAN speed and get newer features.

No. You already have more than you need. Even 3 x RT-AC86U won't improve your WiFi speeds much and Smart Connect is not one of the best features of RT-AC86U. It's only called Smart Connect, not that smart in real life. The only thing you need to improve WiFi speeds is to connect the three routers with wires. One Main Router connected with wires to two Access Points. That's all, save your money.

Correct, you wont get anything faster with 86U routers, and firmware is the same (similar) for all, so there are no more "features" on 86U.
Maybe better positioning your routers will help in wifi speed. What will help is LAN connection to and between them.

Are your nodes using 5G or 2G backhaul, that could be the reason for slower speed, maybe your 5G signals are too weak on other floors to use it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!