What's new

Router and Powerline Advice Needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

c0rp1

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys ... my first post here, but I really need your help. I`m living in a large apartment (two floors) and I`m trying to build a good home network. I recently changed from ADSL to Optical Internet + IPTV, so I need connection not only for my wifi devices, but also for the TV Set top Boxes. So I decided to go for Powerline Adapters.
I need to buy 3 Powerline Adapters (cause I`ll use 2 set top boxes on each floor) and a Router. Because I`m planing on buying a new laptop (high end), which will support the AC Standard I want an AC Router.
For now I decided to go for all netgear stuff, but am not sure if I`m not making a mistake, thats why I need your opinion. My budget is around 300-325$ at most.
So for Router I chose the R6300 and for Powerline Adapters the XAV5602 (XAVT5602 package that comes with 3 XAV5602 Adapters). The reason I chose XAV5602 instead of 5601 is because I`ve heard that 5601 has some problems with the firmware and constantly looses connection (If someone can confirm that it would be helpful).
I`m still not sure if I should go for the R6300 or the Asus AC66, but because I decided on the Netgear Powerline Adapters, I chose to go all Netgear.
The 500MBps powerlines of Asus are alot more expensive also :)
So I need your help... what should I chose?
Thanks in advance and If you have any better suggestions for the home network, please give me an advice !

but because I decided on the Netgear Powerline Adapters, I chose to go all Netgear.

This shouldn't matter - the adapters can't read packets to determine that they're coming from or going to a non-Netgear router. :)

These products are developed by different teams, perhaps even in different countries. The firmware is almost certainly developed by different teams as well. They really might as well be separate products.

However it would be advisable to go with powerline adapters of the same make and model. Sure these are supposed to follow standards and should work with each other, but only the same make and model are guaranteed to be tested with each other and they may support some proprietary techniques that would not work with mismatched adapters. Since you're buying everything in one go, might as well get everything (powerline) matched.

Thanks for your reply, but what about the AC66 and R6300 ?

I didn't say anything either way because it's down to personal preference - if I was to recommend one someone would jump in recommending the other. As well, I have no experience with the AC66 and went with its n equivalent, the RT-N66U.

Personally I'm quite satisfied with my ASUS RT-N66 - I didn't go with the AC66 due to cost and due to the fact that I won't have AC clients for many years. I have read about some stability problems with the AC66 also (perhaps solved by now). The ASUS RT-AC68U is coming out soon and will be ASUS' flagship and given ASUS' chart-topper with the AC66 it would be worth considering, but it will be extremely expensive and the first few firmware versions may be buggy like the N66 and the AC66. The N66U was reviewed so well I really didn't consider any other brand and I was not disappointed.

As I indicated, that's personal preference.

All the power line adapters move standard TCPIP packets. Brands do not matter only window dressing. Make sure you get the latest speed and you will be fine.

All the power line adapters move standard TCPIP packets. Brands do not matter only window dressing. Make sure you get the latest speed and you will be fine.

Hmm, I thought I read about some proprietary enhancements right on this site but I can't find it now.

However Tim recommends going with the same brand, especially for the new 500 Mbps adapters:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-basics/31585-smallnetbuilders-powerline-faq

SmallNetBuilder said:
10. Do I have to use "matching" powerline adapters for best performance?

This isn't a requirement, but it can't hurt. While HomePlug AV 200 Mbps products perform pretty consistently, there can be performance differences due to hardware design and firmware revision used. So if you have the option, start with a pair of matching adapters.

For 500 Mbps powerline adapters, I'd more strongly recommend using matching products. This newer technology is still under development and the firmware issue can be even more important.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!