What's new

Router binging & Roaming block list

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Teppka

Regular Contributor
Task: I want to make sure my Xbox console will stay connected wirelessly to the router and not the node and to stay that way, no roaming.

Running latest Asuswrt on my 2x RT-AX86U mesh. Asus Android app allows to bind a wifi client to either router or node. WebGUI also have option to block roaming for any Mac address. While I understand how block will work - it will not allow wireless client to roam between routers but it doesn't tell which one it will connect first. But if I use binding in my understanding it will only connect to the router I bound it to. In that case do I also need to add this client to roaming block list? Just trying to understand the differences.

Thanks

I wouldn't do any of that. Use a Guest network and unique SSID for it and the Xbox. Done.

The point is that currently, that doesn't work as well as it should.

If it works for you, great. :)

So far binding does work as when I check console is always connected to the router it's bound to. I disabled roaming blacklist coz I found it kind of useless once binding is done.

Does creating permanent additional SSIDs puts more work on the routers CPU and makes airspace more crowded?

@L&LD I've actually noticed a bigger issue. My smartphone stopped roaming on 5gHz network and is stuck to main router. My roaming settings are standard, - 70dbm, but it wouldn't roam even if signal goes to - 86dbm. Rooter reboot didn't help. I've set both of my RT-AX86U acc to your recommendations. It used to roam perfectly before but I noticed yesterday it's stuck to main router and doesn't reconnect to node. I also checked and node seems to work fine as other devices are connected to it just fine. When I connect to 2Ghz it connected to node just fine. Any suggestions how I can solve it?

Last edited:
The point is that currently, that doesn't work as well as it should.

If it works for you, great. :)
I’ve noticed with aimesh 2.0 device binding, that they have wired a 9 device maximum binding limit for some unknown reason?

can you verify on your 88u whether you can bind more than 9 devices?

I’m referring to ai mesh settings in left hand menu, and then clicking on the link icon in the right hand side next to all the devices on each node and router which pops up a menu where you select what router/node you want to bind a device to?

@cplay I don't have the RT-AX88U anymore (need to update my signature soon).

I hope others can test this for you.

I’ve noticed with aimesh 2.0 device binding, that they have wired a 9 device maximum binding limit for some unknown reason?

can you verify on your 88u whether you can bind more than 9 devices?

I’m referring to ai mesh settings in left hand menu, and then clicking on the link icon in the right hand side next to all the devices on each node and router which pops up a menu where you select what router/node you want to bind a device to?

There is a limit of 10 on the AC86U

There is a limit of 10 on the AC86U
Really?

I have an ac86u and it has a hard limit of 9 only.

Did you test this yourself or read it somewhere? I have no idea why they’ve created a limit of 9 bindable devices - makes no sense.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!