What's new

Router certificate not working using Chrome on Ubuntu 22.04

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What do you mean with “the one on your Ubuntu desktop”?

The certificate for your router that changes every 90 days is only needed on your router.

On Ubuntu/Chrome you only need the Let’s Encrypt CA certificate (which does not change every 90 days).
If you have installed the certificate on the Ubuntu system and Chrome browser, wouldn't you have to update the aforementioned files when the router's certificate is renewed? I do realize there is nothing to do on the router, the certificate is renewed like the OP mentioned before 90 days. Will the installed certificates on Ubuntu still work after the renewal without changes made to the Ubuntu desktop? If not this is new to me.

If you have installed the certificate on the Ubuntu system and Chrome browser, wouldn't you have to update the aforementioned files when the router's certificate is renewed? I do realize there is nothing to do on the router, the certificate is renewed like the OP mentioned before 90 days. Will the installed certificates on Ubuntu still work after the renewal without changes made to the Ubuntu desktop? If not this is new to me.
You shouldn’t need to install a certificate locally in the browser if it’s signed by a trusted certificate authority (e.g. Let’s Encrypt certs).

You shouldn’t need to install a certificate locally in the browser if it’s signed by a trusted certificate authority (e.g. Let’s Encrypt certs).
I setup the lets encrypt version of certificates but it only works if you enable access from WAN, that's a deal breaker.

Don't know if it's still valid, but some old notes I have from this situation have this. I'm using a Chromebook right now and the flag is still there. Don't have a way to see if it is still used though.
chrome://flags/#allow-insecure-localhost

If that isn't valid any longer, you can try this. Again, been awhile since I needed to do this and it may or may not work today;
Code:
Navigate to the site with the cert you want to trust, and click through the usual warnings for untrusted certificates.

In the address bar, right click on the red warning triangle and "Not secure" message and, from the resulting menu, select "Certificate" to show the certificate.

In the window that pops up, select the "Details" tab (immediately to the right of "General"), and click on the "Copy to File..." at the bottom right of the tab.

This launches the Certificate Export Wizard; click "Next" at the bottom, which takes you to a radio-button dialogue for selecting the format. Leave the default "DER encoded binary X.509 (.CER)" and click next again.

Use the "Browse..." button to select a filename Documents (or wherever you'd like to leave the exported cert), and remember the name and path. Click "Next" to export the cert and then "Finish".

You should get another pop-up window telling you the export was successful. Click "OK" to dismiss it, and again in the original "Certificate" pop-up window to dismiss it too.

Next open the Chrome settings page, scroll to the bottom, and expand the "Advanced" section; in the "Privacy and security" panel, click on the "Manage certificates" area.

In the pop-up "Certificates" window, select the "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" tab, and click on the "Import..." button; this will launch the Certificate Import Wizard.

Click "Next" and, on the next page, select "Browse..." and use the explorer window to locate the certificate you exported at step 5 above.

Click "Next" again, then "Finish", and, in the "Security Warning" pop-up, click on "Yes"; you should see yet another pop-up letting you know that the import was successful.

Restart Chrome, and navigate to the webpage again; this time you should see the closed padlock and "Secure" annotation to the left of the URL.

A variant of this is here:

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!