What's new

Skynet Router Firewall + Skynet Firewall?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

randomName

Very Senior Member
Is the router firmware firewall necessary if Skynet is being used?

Your router's firewall drops all unsolicited inbound connections. If you have no open ports and you have no intentions to block outbound connections (or limit yourself), you don't need Skynet. It was discussed not long ago what Skynet is useful for. It's a firewall enhancement script, in case you need something extra and you know what are you doing.

Your router's firewall drops all unsolicited inbound connections. If you have no open ports and you have no intentions to block outbound connections (or limit yourself), you don't need Skynet. It was discussed not long ago what Skynet is useful for. It's a firewall enhancement script, in case you need something extra and you know what are you doing.

Thank you, I didn't know that

You're welcome. Here is the information from the developer, if you want to learn more:

It's an excellent script, but requires some knowledge how things work. I personally found few issues with default Skynet configuration:
- it logs connections the firewall would have dropped anyway, making you believe you're under attack and Skynet is working hard to protect you
- community supported blocklists may/will contain false positives, issues were reported on SNB; you have to monitor Skynet and act accordingly

Is the router firmware firewall necessary if Skynet is being used?

IF you are looking for another security method and feeling experimental,

There is always

However, I do not recommend these routes unless you absolutely know what you are doing as they are pretty router intensive.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!