What's new

Router for VPN with AES-NI

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ferrarista

Occasional Visitor
Some years ago I configured my first VPN using first an ASUS AC86U and then I replaced it with an AX88U. I decided to use these models because I read (probably right in this forum) that those 2 models support the AES-NI encryption that is needed to speed up the VPN server. Now I need to configure a new VPN at my new place where I have a gigabit connection. Is it still important to have a router supporting AES-NI encryption? Which models do you recommend?

AES-NI is only available in Intel processors. Other processors (e.g. AMD, ARM, etc) have their own AES support.

Last edited:
With a gigabit link, you might be better off running OpenVPN on a device with a better CPU than an ARM-based router. The fastest router at the moment might give you a bit under 300 Mbps of throughput with OpenVPN.

AES-NI is only available in Intel processors. Other processors (e.g. AMD, ARM, etc) have their own AES support.
Which routers have then an Intel processor capable of AES(-NI) support?

With a gigabit link, you might be better off running OpenVPN on a device with a better CPU than an ARM-based router. The fastest router at the moment might give you a bit under 300 Mbps of throughput with OpenVPN.
At the moment I have 50 Mbps upload speed, but even when (and if) I'll finally have an optical fiber connection, it won't be faster than 300 Mbps. I think that OpenVPN is more than enough for now.

Which routers have then an Intel processor capable of AES(-NI) support?
Sorry, I don't keep abreast of all the different router products. You can see the list of AES-NI processors here. So you're looking at an x86 machine, probably running something like pfSense.

But if your question was about routers that have hardware encryption you don't need Intel's AES-NI specifically, just something that supports AES.

My question is what a router should have to build a performing VPN (I mean, if AES or AES-NI is an important requirement) and which models have these features.

If you're looking for gigabyte speed VPN, no consumer/prosumer router will do that.

pfSense is a hot mess right now, but it might get you there with your own hardware if you're interested in building it yourself. I would suggest an Intel 11th Gen or higher CPU with 16GB RAM or more powered by a 256GB or larger SSD. With (only) an Intel LAN card of 2 ports or more.

If you're not connecting from your 'place' to a location that also has gigabyte speeds (up/down) and you're not expecting those max speeds, then the RT-AX88U Pro or the GT-AX6000 is a good place to start (with RMerlin firmware, of course). This will get you in the 200 - 300 Mbps range, depending on external factors and VPN settings you need/choose.

So nobody can recommend a router for my needs?

You have to build your own custom solution around mini-PC like Protectli Vault or similar. For CPU - something 8th Gen or better i5/i7, 4GB RAM is enough, 120GB drive is plenty, NICs whatever you need speed. For multi threaded OpenVPN you also need pfSense Plus license. You are looking at $500+ project plus a steep learning curve from your home router knowledge starting point. Other option is off-lease SFF PC with the NICs you need, but it requires even more knowledge and will consume more power.

Perhaps the above is the reason no one recommended a "router" for your needs. I personally don't know why you "need" this VPN in first place.