What's new

Router/modem speed disparity

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sean Rhodes

Regular Contributor
I have a Harris docsis cable modem outputting at 120/56 Mb/s up/down speeds. I have my ASUS RT-AC4200 running 384.13_10 firmware, which only has 54/10 Mb/s up/down speeds.

is the loss in speed due to the router hardware limitations, or is the hardware assist speed boost incorrectly configured or not available in this model?

I’d appreciate any advice on this issue

"outputting at 120/56 Mb/s up/down speeds" Do you mean down/up?

"RT-AC4200" I have not heard of this model.

Do you have any VPN and/or QoS active? If so try disabling those and testing again.

Do you have any VPN and/or QoS active? If so try disabling those and testing again.
Not at the moment, QOS essentially kills everything so I have that disabled. I do use VPN, but I had it disabled prior to running the speed test

probably a slip of the finger for 3200 :)

probably a slip of the finger for 3200 :)
It was yes. Also, I think it was a fluke. I ran another couple of tests and there was barely any difference in the speeds. I'm assuming the first test was due to low bandwidth usage when I ran the test

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!