Router/modem speed disparity

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Sean Rhodes

Regular Contributor
I have a Harris docsis cable modem outputting at 120/56 Mb/s up/down speeds. I have my ASUS RT-AC4200 running 384.13_10 firmware, which only has 54/10 Mb/s up/down speeds.

is the loss in speed due to the router hardware limitations, or is the hardware assist speed boost incorrectly configured or not available in this model?

I’d appreciate any advice on this issue

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
"outputting at 120/56 Mb/s up/down speeds" Do you mean down/up?

"RT-AC4200" I have not heard of this model.

Do you have any VPN and/or QoS active? If so try disabling those and testing again.

Sean Rhodes

Regular Contributor

Do you have any VPN and/or QoS active? If so try disabling those and testing again.
Not at the moment, QOS essentially kills everything so I have that disabled. I do use VPN, but I had it disabled prior to running the speed test

Jack Yaz

Part of the Furniture

probably a slip of the finger for 3200 :)

Sean Rhodes

Regular Contributor
probably a slip of the finger for 3200 :)
It was yes. Also, I think it was a fluke. I ran another couple of tests and there was barely any difference in the speeds. I'm assuming the first test was due to low bandwidth usage when I ran the test

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!