What's new

Router No NAT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tului

Occasional Visitor
If I'm using one router behind another what routes do i need to add via CLI or the web site? WAN link is 192.168.1.254, router on the other end of WAN is 192.168.1.1

LAN on the router I want to disable NAT on is 192.168.2.1.

If this was a normal Linux box it'd be a bit clearer but I'm not sure given that it's multi-homed and has potential scripts etc that the web page does.

If I'm using one router behind another what routes do i need to add via CLI or the web site? WAN link is 192.168.1.254, router on the other end of WAN is 192.168.1.1

LAN on the router I want to disable NAT on is 192.168.2.1.

If this was a normal Linux box it'd be a bit clearer but I'm not sure given that it's multi-homed and has potential scripts etc that the web page does.
Think the easiest way is to change the mode from Router to AP (access point) only under Admin -> Operation mode

upload_2019-10-12_1-16-7.png

Does that still allow me to use the WAN port and have two different subnets?
1. Not sure on the WAN port part, maybe via SSH
2. If you want two subnet on Merlin, than via SSH where you can create a VLAN and assign it on the port, but not in the UI.

EDIT: Once you enable the SSH, things should be familiar to you since you're experienced with Linux.

Does that still allow me to use the WAN port and have two different subnets?
No, AP mode won't give you that.

If you leave the second router in router mode you will have two subnets. You will need to disable NAT and the firewall on the second router. You will also need to create a static route in the primary router's web interface that says:

192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.254 LAN

Forget at what I said, as that is the cast for most routers. @ColinTaylor method is much more straight forward. I setup the Asus WAN part so quick, didn't take notice there was a setting to disable NAT, as previously with the router class of this type I dealt with require to disable routing mode...

No, AP mode won't give you that.

If you leave the second router in router mode you will have two subnets. You will need to disable NAT and the firewall on the second router. You will also need to create a static route in the primary router's web interface that says:

192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.254 LAN
Some of the router will lost the DHCP once disable route/NAT, supposedly this is not the case with Asus?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!