What's new

router question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

corvairbob

New Around Here
i now have a netgear c7000-100nas i have no idea what the 100nas means, but that may tell me it is a modem and a router. anyway so i'm researching routers to hook up to the c7000 combo and turn off the c7000 router mode and use a seperate router. some say that is more secure, some say i'm all wet. but in my research i see the asus routers have better firewall and some other kinds of security.

so because i have cameras that i monitor when i'm out of the house what router will give me the added firewall along with windows 10 firewall and router security so others can't get thru my system easy and mess with my pc and cameras? or am i just dreaming? on the netgear forum they say do not get the netgear routers because there security lasts about 3 months and then you have to pay yearly fees for it. and they said the asus routers offer lifetime security and to get on of there routers.

so before i start looking for an asus router i'm here asking if the advice from netgear forums is true? and to see if the asus router do have the firewall to keep intruders out and let me in when away from home and if it is easy enough to set up.

also what router is good for being on a budget and has good performance for an average size home. mine complet yard is 100x190 so it would be nice to get a good connection within those boundaries.

a lot of questions but maybe some will have some answers for them.

NAS is just a vendor sku code, doesn’t mean Modem or as sometimes people also mistake it for a literal NAS meaning. Some sellers might have a different code instead of NAS for the same Netgear devices.

Netgear Modems and Modem-Router combos have a C or D at the beginning of their model number. C being cable and D being DSL/VDSL, ie C2000, CAX80, D7800 etc.

Netgear updates devices intermittently with security patches among its updates, it’s nonsense whoever claimed you have to pay after 3 months... They probably called a fake support line or something and got duped, kinda like the fake Microsoft support sites you find sometimes when Googling.

My R7800 which is 5 years old recently got another update for example. Now having cleared that up, I will say that Asus does give more user options on the firmware side and they do generally give updates for a longer period of time.

EDIT: Ah I see you meant Netgear Armor subscription.

Last edited:
NAS simply means the device is to be sold in North America.

thanks that makes sense. now to find out about the asus rothers and if they are as good as the review says they are. i mean lifetime security and auto updates and even a builtin firewall to help protect the devices that are not actually gong thru the pc.

i now have a netgear c7000-100nas i have no idea what the 100nas means, but that may tell me it is a modem and a router. anyway so i'm researching routers to hook up to the c7000 combo and turn off the c7000 router mode and use a seperate router. some say that is more secure, some say i'm all wet. but in my research i see the asus routers have better firewall and some other kinds of security.

so because i have cameras that i monitor when i'm out of the house what router will give me the added firewall along with windows 10 firewall and router security so others can't get thru my system easy and mess with my pc and cameras? or am i just dreaming? on the netgear forum they say do not get the netgear routers because there security lasts about 3 months and then you have to pay yearly fees for it. and they said the asus routers offer lifetime security and to get on of there routers.

so before i start looking for an asus router i'm here asking if the advice from netgear forums is true? and to see if the asus router do have the firewall to keep intruders out and let me in when away from home and if it is easy enough to set up.

also what router is good for being on a budget and has good performance for an average size home. mine complet yard is 100x190 so it would be nice to get a good connection within those boundaries.

a lot of questions but maybe some will have some answers for them.

The typical consumer router includes a 'firewall' to block unsolicited WAN access. Your current router has this.

Some OEMs offer additional traffic monitoring/security that may be included or you may have to subscribe and pay for it. It's nice to have, if it works and does not interfere, but I would not pay for it. Asus includes it for free (Trend Micro AiProtection).

Some prefer using a separate modem and router for more control. The ISP might provide the modem for free. You provide the router of your choice. If the ISP modem is a gateway (modem+router), you may be able to put it into Bridge Mode to bypass its router so that you can add your own router.

Some wireless routers can serve WiFi to a 'very large house'... or say up to 2000 sq ft footprint, subject to building materials and clients, etc. This may serve outdoor living areas. When coverage is lacking, you can add a wireless repeater/extender or wired access point... or install a mesh system with multiple wired or wireless nodes. Asus routers and AiMesh allows you to do this incrementally as needs determine.

If you are not happy with your current gateway, bridge it, and consider adding an Asus RT-AC86U or RT-AX86U, or two in an AiMesh.

OE

thanks. my c7000 seems to do a good job but i get tons of attacks on it everyday dos attacks and other that i can't seem to get resolved. they build up in the logs and then start messing with the wifi. now all my cameras are wired so i do not have them even turned on for wifi, they go thru a gigabit network switch, they work good in the pc but going to the tablet i use for a monitor they act up some and if i try to use the phone they get a bit fussy.

i do have 2 extenders one in the garage and i just removed one that was on my wifi printer but the printer was offline more than online so i just ran a 50' powered usb cable and now i plug it into whatever pc that needs to print. that works way better. so i took the 2nd extender offline and in the drawer.

one reason i'm leaning on a router is the gateway is downstairs and i can't get 5ghz good upstairs, and the items on the 2.4ghz are slowing down the channel to the point i want to put items on the 5ghz band to free up space. but 2.4 has more strength, so if i can get a router and put that upstairs where we are and then i should have a better signal for both bands. i can run a cable down to the gateway and turn off the router on it. thanks

thanks. my c7000 seems to do a good job but i get tons of attacks on it everyday dos attacks and other that i can't seem to get resolved. they build up in the logs and then start messing with the wifi.
I'm curious to know how your router fairs with a Shields Up! test of 'all service ports':
GRC | ShieldsUP! — Internet Vulnerability Profiling

the printer was offline more than online so i just ran a 50' powered usb cable and now i plug it into whatever pc that needs to print. that works way better.
That's not networking! :)

one reason i'm leaning on a router is the gateway is downstairs and i can't get 5ghz good upstairs, and the items on the 2.4ghz are slowing down the channel to the point i want to put items on the 5ghz band to free up space. but 2.4 has more strength, so if i can get a router and put that upstairs where we are and then i should have a better signal for both bands. i can run a cable down to the gateway and turn off the router on it. thanks

I stand by my initial advice. You may want to upgrade your network.

OE

the printer was on the network set up to wifi on my network
1614105998793.png

thanks. my c7000 seems to do a good job but i get tons of attacks on it everyday dos attacks and other that i can't seem to get resolved. they build up in the logs and then start messing with the wifi. now all my cameras are wired so i do not have them even turned on for wifi, they go thru a gigabit network switch, they work good in the pc but going to the tablet i use for a monitor they act up some and if i try to use the phone they get a bit fussy.

i do have 2 extenders one in the garage and i just removed one that was on my wifi printer but the printer was offline more than online so i just ran a 50' powered usb cable and now i plug it into whatever pc that needs to print. that works way better. so i took the 2nd extender offline and in the drawer.

The DDoS protection option can be iffy at times with false detections, I say this from experience. I have it off and I believe it’s off by default on Asus routers as well.

Also I’m not really sure how useful some of the router side only antivirus type stuff is with increase usage of https & DNS over HTTPS these days unless using MITM/Certificates. Makes better sense if you have client side security software working in conjunction with the router side like Armor does. Not sure if Asus-TrendNet combo is like that.

Last edited:
thanks just wondering how that security actually is! i'm wondering if it is really worth adding a router and turing off the combo router? it may not even be worth doing. thanks.

ok i have done that test before and got these results, so it looks like my system is blocking all it should. i do run this test now and then but because of my cameras on some of the camera forums they say even though the shields are up they can still be probed. and having a seperate router is better than one the is built into the modem. i tired running a seperate router before and had issues so i went back to the single unit, but i think that router was bad. and because i had to have a working system i got the single unit so i did not have to be messing with it. thanks
1614173838392.png