What's new

Router Recommendation (to AC87 or not?)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

5ECQWR

New Around Here
I've read the endless threads on issues with the AC87 but for some reason am still considering it. I've been a fan of the Asus routers, currently running a couple RT-N16.

I'm looking for the following:
  • Fast enough hardware to run both an OpenVPN server and Client at the same time
  • Fast enough hardware to route data from my HomeRun HD's as well as 30+ mbit internet connection plus various other LAN devices
  • Stable enough that I'm not resetting it on a weekly basis
  • Don't need ultra fast wifi - run mostly wired connection - but need sufficient speed for tables, phones, laptops.
  • Probably want to get 5 year out of it (technology wise)
The hardware specifications for the AC87 look pretty good. Any thoughts on device capability based on the requirements above? I think the AC68p would be sufficient but unfortunately it doesn't appear to be available in Canada.

Thanks!

I believe the RT-AC87U to be the highest spec'd consumer wireless router today. Whether it would last five years (technology wise) depends on what other standards get brought up to speed and become available in hardware form in that time frame. Also depends on the users ability to update the clients he's using to those same standards over those years to fully maximize the performance any new standards offer.

Having said the above, I do think that we'll be in the AC1900 class era and above for the next few years. To many possible improvements have yet to come, including MU-MIMO (activated on the router and in available clients), up to 8 streams total with the improvements (after the headaches) that that will allow. This will not happen in 5 years and possibly not happen at all before a new WiFi standard takes over (because of performance and interoperability between different wireless networks).

Even with this said, I think your expectations of a router are above anything available today. Especially with regards to VPN server and client simultaneously and external HDD performance.

To get those at the maximum level you seem to need, I would recommend a QNAP or Synology NAS with an i3 based platform (for the VPN part) and 4 bays or bigger (for the sustained speeds you want from the data currently on your HDD's right now) in addition to the RT-AC68U or above.

What you're asking for we all would like. But I don't see that possible with a mere $300 investment today.

Thanks for the feedback - couple points to clarify in my original post. I'm actually not looking for USB storage - the HomeRun HD's are IP based digital tuners that take an OTA signal and put it on your network. They're great for getting antenna data to your HTPC. Relative to the VPN I'm only looking for light usage on the server side.

The current issues that people are having - I've seen very little info on whether they are hardware or software based - any first hand experience?

look at the ac3200 , works well with a couple of HD Homerun tuners and VPN clients on my setup , no prob running several streams , the 3 radio setup really helps with multiple computers and tablets running

The AC87U still has no 4x4 MU-MIMO. I would wait till this is enabled to finally buy one. Just my opinion.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!