What's new

Router structure.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

P

podkaracz

Im trying to find out what is the file structure of router like Asus RT-AC86U when inspecing it with help of WinSCP. What would happen if i went into router gui using WinScp and did ctrl+a and then delete everything. Would it permanently brick it? Which folders should not be touched and which one can. Im trying to understand how this router is build like pc has bios+me region and operating system what does router have? Is winscp showing everything there is on a router or there are some hidden partitions with bootloader or something like that? When inspecting partitions it showed some misc or smth. Is there a way to use for example something like "diskpart" command which would remove all partitions on router like "clean" command on an hdd/ssd or it would then need router image from another unit as well as programmer. Please explain to me how this router is built because its interesting.

The first rule; do no harm. Learn respectfully, not destructively.

The wonderful thing about being alive today is we can search and research about anything we can name. Use that power wisely to increase your knowledge. Go search YouTube for such topics, for example.

how are wireless routers built youtube.com - Google Search

It is easy to destroy something. Doesn't help much to understand it.

The difference between a router (or any device with an embedded O/S) and a PC (Mac, etc), is that the former has no built in, user friendly way to manage a format and wipe similar to installing Windows on a new HDD. So, yes, it is quite easy to erase things that may or may not be critical to running and therefore it may be hard, or impossible to recover. In *some* cases, you could use the emergency recovery process to write the firmware, but there is nothing (useful) to be "learned" from randomly deleting things.

If you want to learn about Linux operating systems, I'd suggest getting a $40 Raspberry Pi as with that, you *CAN* delete anything you want while learning as you can always rewrite the SDCARD, from your PC or Mac.

A router's flash storage filesystem is read-only. You cannot modify its content.

A router's flash storage filesystem is read-only. You cannot modify its content.
With enough determination, I'd argue that you could still mess *something* up to the point where the router would not function very well :)

There are other device better suited to learning new operating systems.

There are other device better suited to learning new operating systems.

Maybe he wants to learn how to hack/compromise routers.

OE

Maybe he wants to learn how to hack/compromise routers.

OE

Right now its far from my capabilities as im complete newb. Its rather interesting to know the whole structure of this kind of device to better understand how this works. Pure interest. But hacking is interesting too. Am i beeing foolish to think that if i have long and strong passwords and all marks in aiprotection that are regarding security ticked im unhackable from the outside network? If i set routers passwords without using internet connection and then never login so that my router passwords cant get stolen by some keylogger am i unhackable ? I have no idea how that works but interesting to hear from knowledgeable people

Right now its far from my capabilities as im complete newb. Its rather interesting to know the whole structure of this kind of device to better understand how this works. Pure interest. But hacking is interesting too. Am i beeing foolish to think that if i have long and strong passwords and all marks in aiprotection that are regarding security ticked im unhackable from the outside network? If i set routers passwords without using internet connection and then never login so that my router passwords cant get stolen by some keylogger am i unhackable ? I have no idea how that works but interesting to hear from knowledgeable people

You might find more knowledgeable people and related knowledge on forums/websites where those people hangout and exchange such vulnerability information and methods.

Most users here are just trying to get their WiFi and doorbells working.

OE

You might find more knowledgeable people and related knowledge on forums/websites where those people hangout and exchange such vulnerability information and methods.

Most users here are just trying to get their WiFi and doorbells working.

OE

Id rather stay here cuz this forum is newb friendly and i would probably not understand anyways without diving into basics of whats necessary to understand vulnerabilities.

Id rather stay here cuz this forum is newb friendly and i would probably not understand anyways without diving into basics of whats necessary to understand vulnerabilities.

I wasn't suggesting you leave here.

OE

I wasn't suggesting you leave here.

OE

Its fine i knew that my sentence had meaning that suggest that you told me to change place but it was not my intention ;d Sometimes im too lazy to use proper words for thoughts but all i meant is that this place is better for newbies that have other things to learn and dont have will/time to invest to learn linux os.

Am i beeing foolish to think that if i have long and strong passwords and all marks in aiprotection that are regarding security ticked im unhackable from the outside network?
Yes. That is why there are companies that actively search for vulnerabilities in devices and release bulletins about them for the manufacturer to fix. "Unhackable" is a pretty strong term. :)

Is it "likely" a major vulnerability will be found allowing hackers in? Risk is low. Is there ever a certainty that something is unhackable? No.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!