What's new

Router that can do full-speed Gigabit qos?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

We'd need Broadcom/QCA to either provide some form of API to allow a packet scheduler (like Cake) get access to flows, or for them to start integrating support for SQM into their NAT acceleration engine.

Outside of just Broadcom/QCA - challenge with flow offload and QoS is that flow offload promises every pack will be routed, where as QoS can, and often does, drop packets to keep each flow managed to the desired characteristics...

Cake SQM will definitely start tossing packets out the back if a higher priority flow needs bandwidth.

These x86 boxes have to do fast path and QoS management all in software - there, clock speed definitely matters more than number of cores

Comcast is just awful for their upload speeds. It's sad they are so large. Coming from the gaming world if you want to do anybit of streaming, you can max out that connection quick. Also uploading large videos to youtube takes forever and you're also stuck buying their gig package. My brother, who only owns a chromebook, phones, and a desktop that hasn't turned on since the last time gas was $4.00 a gallon, has their 250mb plan he's got like 5 or 10mb upload speeds. That's just bonkers. Good luck on your search.

This is my Internet speed.

Attachments

• F9DCFBBE-D058-47BF-A42F-A0351B0692CB.png
    F9DCFBBE-D058-47BF-A42F-A0351B0692CB.png
    50.3 KB · Views: 129
The simplest solution I can think of would be to run Cake or fq codel on only the upstream. The simplest way to do this would be to find a device you can put openWRT on and configure on the upstream. You’re going to need much faster gear to do any packet shaping on that fast of a downstream. But it’s also very unlikely that you come even
close to utilizing it. You don’t need fast hardware for the upstream.

You have the same problem I do: insufficient upload speed. And you’re going to lose some shaping it. I lose roughly 10% using fq codel.

I would not do cloud backups during working hours. Zoom tops out at 720p, so that shouldn’t be a problem. Get a dedicated webcam to reduce the network usage. I’m having good luck with the 925e.

I can tell you the AX86U is good for about 750-850 with Adaptive QoS when I tested it last. I don't have issues that require QoS so I leave it off, that testing was a couple firmwares ago. So the AX6000 may get you close and has 2 2.5 Gb ports.
Yeah, that even works up to 850 MBit. Steam completely overwhelms it, though, causing increasing packet loss.