What's new

Router that can handle many devices.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Evildropbear

New Around Here
Hello

I live in a house with 7 other students. I am connected with a wire to the E2000 router, but when everyone is home and online, the connection drops frequently.
I am unsure if it is the modem or the router, but I don't really have any way of testing (default firmware doesn't show much info, and I don't want to flash custom firmware because its not my router), so I am planning to just buy a router and hope that it solves the issue.

Any recommendations? I won't list a budget as I'm curious about all the routers at different price ranges.

I once had to deal with an E2000 in much the same way; the unit would drop connectivity and actually lock up entirely every few months, then every few weeks, until dying altogether, all in the time span of little over a year. Indicative of the lack of quality of so much of this stuff...

That said, you could grab just about any all-in-one off the shelf for $50-100 and it would most likely perform adequately (which, in this case, would equal way better), and last hopefully for a year or two. If that's good enough, then Asus, Netgear, etc. are all probably fair game.

I could offer pricier and/or more technical suggestions, but I'm sensing those might be overkill for dorm living. ;)

I think your wan setup may have some say in this matter. Maybe you might want to pool with the other 7 and get a better core router. Some of the cable companies allow 2-3 devices connected to their cable modem, if so you will need a switch between the cable modem and both routers. If you have DSL I don't know, same with FIOS.

I think your wan setup may have some say in this matter. Maybe you might want to pool with the other 7 and get a better core router. Some of the cable companies allow 2-3 devices connected to their cable modem, if so you will need a switch between the cable modem and both routers. If you have DSL I don't know, same with FIOS.

The modem only has one ethernet port. I'm thinking about just trying with a cheap router first to see if I can at least get a stable wired connection/remove a variable from the equation.

I see the RT-N12 D1 is recommended as a cheap router, however it only has 10/100 support. We have a 100Mbit connection, would that be pushing the limits too much?

The annoying thing is that I can still access the E2000 when the internet connection drops :/
edit: Guessed the modem password, maybe now I can see what happens when the connection drops :D

Last edited:
Is it DSL or Cable ? never mind, 100mb suggests cable modem. Come out of the cable modem and plug it into port 1 of a 4 port switch, then plug port 2 into the wan connection on the old router, make sure it connects, then plug the new router into port 3 on the switch to the wan port on the new router, see if it gets an IP from the cable co. If it does you can run both.

Last edited:
Well I just did some testing, and I'm still not sure what is going on.

Scenario of events:
1. Wired connection drops
2. 50/50 chance I can access the routers page
2. Wireless internet via router still works
3. I can still access the modem via the router..

So if my setup is [Router] -> [Modem] -> [Internet]

I can't access the router, I can access the modem, but I can't access the Internet.
And Wireless works

:confused:

Last edited:
Hello

I live in a house with 7 other students. I am connected with a wire to the E2000 router, but when everyone is home and online, the connection drops frequently.
I am unsure if it is the modem or the router, but I don't really have any way of testing (default firmware doesn't show much info, and I don't want to flash custom firmware because its not my router), so I am planning to just buy a router and hope that it solves the issue.

Any recommendations? I won't list a budget as I'm curious about all the routers at different price ranges.

8 students - how many devices are potentially on the network?

At first glance - 8 laptops/desktops, probably the same number of smartphones, a couple of tablets, and a couple of game consoles - it adds up after a while...

Older AP's start to limit out at around 15 devices - it's a RAM thing as each device needs a NAT routing entry... some of them reboot, some do first in/first out.

It's likely not the modem - it's likely the router... most current N900 and above devices should be sufficient here, but take a good inventory of devices and get back to us...

I bought a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND and all problems seems to be fixed :) Although nobody is home right now, the real test will be this evening.

Kind of a bummer this router doesn't have ipv6 support though, oh well, you get what you pay for :eek: