What's new

Router update questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lee MacMillan

I have an AC66U_B1 that has been sitting on a shelf since I got the AX86U almost 2 years ago. I would like to bring it up to the latest Merlin release (it's currently on 386.1_2) and then sell it. Can I just connect it to a LAN port of the 86U and do the setup? Or should I plug it directly into the ethernet port on my computer? Question 2: Is the jump from 386.1 to 386.9 to big? Or should I update in a couple of intermediate steps first (e.g., to 386.4, then 386.7)?

Thanks.

If you are looking to sell it, just do a reset, and start with 386.9. Plug into the LAN port to het the FW update.
I'm doing the same with a couple of AC5300's tonight that I'm giving to my Wife's cousin.
If they toss in a dinner at their local Italian eatery I must just set them up and build out the mesh network too.

This should help: https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/about
You should be fine going straight to the latest (v386.9) from where it is.
DL the package, and then connect the router directly to the computer you're planning to use to flash the new firmware.
Flash, reboot then let it settle. then reboot it again. and probably rebooting a 3rd time couldn't hurt, but there are people who know better than I who should tell you what the story is
Good Luck.

I have an AC66U_B1 that has been sitting on a shelf since I got the AX86U almost 2 years ago. I would like to bring it up to the latest Merlin release (it's currently on 386.1_2) and then sell it. Can I just connect it to a LAN port of the 86U and do the setup? Or should I plug it directly into the ethernet port on my computer? Question 2: Is the jump from 386.1 to 386.9 to big? Or should I update in a couple of intermediate steps first (e.g., to 386.4, then 386.7)?

Thanks.

Agree on technical part of updating but not regarding firmware selection.

If you guys plan to sell your routers always flash latest factory firmware and reset it. You never know who will buy the thing and not everybody is a technical freak like all of us here. Let them (new buyers, that is...) start fresh; if they are going to be just the avarage users they won't need additional Merlin features anyway. If they will however know what else their new (old) hardware can do they will flash Merlin by themselves.

Just my way of thinking, I guess...

Agree on technical part of updating but not regarding firmware selection.

If you guys plan to sell your routers always flash latest factory firmware and reset it. You never know who will buy the thing and not everybody is a technical freak like all of us here. Let them (new buyers, that is...) start fresh; if they are going to be just the avarage users they won't need additional Merlin features anyway. If they will however know what else their new (old) hardware can do they will flash Merlin by themselves.

Just my way of thinking, I guess...

Especially considering the issues with 386.9 on older routers.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!