What's new

Router upgrade - too much choice!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

House is 2200 sqft

The router is WRT1900ACS. What's the AP make/model?

have max 3 devices streaming at a time we don’t use 4K yet but want to be ready for it.

4K from common streaming services is compressed and under 50Mbps, not a problem.

want speeds that max isp of 500mbs close to the router and will be able to cope with more at a later date

AC router can do that. For more you need to upgrade not only the router to AX, but your devices to AX too.

VPN firmware - use VPN/dns for streaming and vpn for sons PS5 gaming.

Home routers can do enough for streaming speeds. VPN for gaming - I don't know, latency is important for gaming.

spend max $300 but if a really convincing reason would go higher

Are you willing to reuse the WRT1900ACS router as Access Point? Are you looking for a completely new "mesh" Wi-Fi system?

The router is WRT1900ACS. What's the AP make/model?
the router with VPN is WRT1900ACS (use it for ease as has VPN firmware loaded)

main router is an isp Dir-853 with isp firmware loaded.

AP is 10 year old tp-link no gigabit and needs to go.

AC router can do that. For more you need to upgrade not only the router to AX, but your devices to AX too.
Already have some AX devices

Are you willing to reuse the WRT1900ACS router as Access Point? Are you looking for a completely new "mesh" Wi-Fi system?
Was thinking of using the DIR-853 as the access point (the side of the house it looks after isn’t as important as desktop is wired) but happy to make changes yes. Wasn't going to bother with mesh due to extra cost but happy to consider it.

Having the VPN on the ACS does keep things easier for changing servers/between dns and vpn etc. Not sure if there is a more efficient

thanks

If you are looking at Asus routers, an RT-AX86S is more than enough for your needs. It can do >200Mbps on OpenVPN, has Asuswrt-Merlin* support and is cheaper than RT-AX86U. I would re-use the Linksys as Access Point, if more coverage is needed.

* - full VPN configuration options with policy based routing

Is it easy to change servers

No that easy, if your VPN client is running on the router. In regards of VPN configuration options, Asuswrt-Merlin perhaps offers the most.

Managed to pick up an AX86U on a good deal where I live. Only a few dollars more than the S so went with it.

Have read around the forums looking for a basic setup to improve default settings I have found a lot of info! Need to get my head round it all but this was the latest from @L&LD

Also found some suggestions of turning off WPS/WDS/UPNP checking the firewall etc. I do want to make sure everything is secure.

Is there a good post on this to help those of us who are learning?

Thanks