What's new

Router upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

splatee

Occasional Visitor
Currently have rt-ac86u that’s having 5ghz radio issues. It takes around 10x rebooting the router before any Wi-Fi devices will connect to it. It has been progressively getting worse and taking more reboots. I have latest Merlin firmware installed but it has been doing it on previous versions too. So I am looking at the RT-AX86U as an upgrade. After a lot of researching it seems to be on par with my current router spec wise besides having 4 cores. We have alot of Wi-Fi devices such as blink cameras, Amazon echos and iPhones. As far as wired we run a few Xbox’s alot of online gaming.

One more vote for AX86U Pro - newer hardware with more firmware features coming for it (currently in beta).

I think the AX86U Pro may be a better choice for me. Newer hardware so my thoughts would be it would be supported longer.
Thank you for the recommendations.

I think the AX86U Pro may be a better choice for me. Newer hardware so my thoughts would be it would be supported longer.
Thank you for the recommendations.
The CPUs are the same on both routers. The GT-AX6000 has two 2.5gbps ports instead of one if that matters and support should be the same. You can't go wrong with either one of them.

Purchased a used GT-AX6000 yesterday as an upgrade/replacement for my RT-AC2900 (RT-AC86U).
This new rig is a brick house :cool: !

Edit1: Higher Signal strength and throughput in and around the house, garden and shed.
Structural robustness and no more cooling issues (Tcpu < 60 degr. C ; placed it on 4 toothpaste tubecaps, just for the sake of it)

Attachments

• 20230129_0951131.jpg
    20230129_0951131.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Purchased a used GT-AX6000 yesterday as an upgrade/replacement for my RT-AC2900 (RT-AC86U).
This new rig is a brick house :cool: !

Same situation here. 2900 that’s not performing up to scratch any more.

Waiting on the release (and some reviews) of the 86U Pro before I choose which to go with (that or the AX6000).

The hardware is not 2.5GbE capable and relies on NAT acceleration. This makes both routers even Gigabit capable only conditionally. If my goal was 2.5GbE network none of them is going to be my hardware of choice. For home use AX86U Pro covers most requirements and takes 1/3 the space AX6000 needs. It also looks like a router and not like a toy. For current vertical design router owners it's the better choice. AX6000 has only theoretical advantage.

RT-AC86U, GT-AC2900, GT-AC5300 are all HND routers left behind for marketing reasons. One day Asus may decide the oldest Gaming GT-AX6000 model was never marketed as Pro model and it won't get some of the Pro features going further. I wouldn't be surprised. No one expected Pro features anyway.

Last edited:
This is all great info everyone, makes deciding tough. I see on Amazon the AX6000 and the AX86U Pro are very close is price with the AX86U Pro only slightly more. My current router has been rock solid except for the reboot issue with the 5ghz radio.

Get GT-AX6000 if:

- the price is close
- you have the space for it*
- you can live with the way it looks
- your wife won't kill you because of the way it looks

* - it's huge compared to your current RT-AC86U. Here is one compared to RT-AX58U:

1675000064246.png

Get GT-AX6000 if:

- the price is close
- you have the space for it*
- you can live with the way it looks
- your wife won't kill you because of the way it looks

* - it's huge compared to your current RT-AC86U. Here is one compared to RT-AX58U:

View attachment 47562
I replaced the antennas with normal looking 7-8 inch ones. Looks 10X better, better swiveling/repositioning and performs just as well, maybe even a dBm or 2 better anywhere around the house.

@Kees17760
Good score on the 6000!
Two technical questions regarding your setup:
- Do you have something to move the air in/out of your shelving for ventilation?
- Are you utilizing name brand or generic toothpaste lids?