What's new

Router with load balancing for DSL + LTE connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Souli

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I currently have a 8Mbit ADSL connection and I want to add a 50Mbit LTE connection to my network and load balance my traffic between those two. Ping sensitive stuff will be going via the DSL (like online gaming) and most of the other stuff like streaming will be going via LTE or LTE/DSL combo. So far I have checked a few solutions and want to know your opinion on them. My budget limit at the moment is around 400€.

Currently available: DSL modem, Asus RT-N66U (as router and WLAN AP), Huawei E398 LTE stick

Solution 1: Linksys LRT224 (170€)+ TPLink MR6400 as LTE gateway (110€) +DSL modem + RT-N66U as AP only for WLAN
Quite a lot of devices but each one has a unique role so in case of problems it would be easy to replace and keep working with the rest of the setup

Solution 2: Draytek Vigor 2925n+ (290€) + DSL modem + Huawei E398 LTE stick (the Draytek supports the stick natively and has a USB slot for it)
I don't know how good the LTE sticks are for a 24/7 operation but I already know from a guy that has this setup running with a LTE gateway instead of a LTE stick and it works good for him.

Solution 3: Zyxel SBG3600-N (320€) has a LTE modem included and also a DSL modem which makes it kind off a All in One solution. So I have the least amount of devices standing around and only 1 device which could produce trouble.

What do you guys think? Is it better to go with an "All in One" solution or rather 1 device for each task? Or is there anything else I should take a look at?

draytek and peplink are the best choices. Zyxel is usually good but im not sure if it does load balancing.

At your speed you dont need expensive high end equipment. Just make sure it supports the protocols and settings used by ISP.

The Zyxel supports load balancing but only weighted balance. I just checked the Peplink Balance 20 which has a ton of load balance options and seems to be kinda easy to setup. The Balance 20 also supports my LTE Stick natively so that is a real nice alternative option for me.

Edit: just realized that the Balance 20 has no PPTP only PPPoE which I will need for my DSL modem sadly

Last edited:
Edit: just realized that the Balance 20 has no PPTP only PPPoE which I will need for my DSL modem sadly

PPTP is a VPN protocol.
I will be honest, I have never heard of a DSL connection requiring a PPTP tunnel in order to establish the flow of data.

Verify that it is not listed as;
PPP
PPPoA
PPPoE

I have a Technicolor TG588v router/modem from my ISP. I'm allowed to use it in a Multiuser mode where the TG588v establishes the connection which would lead to double NAT if I put another router behind it. The other option is Singleuser mode where my router connects via PPTP relay and I input my username and password from the ISP. This is what I do with my Asus RT-N66U atm. There is no real bridge only mode to use. I don't know how to explain it better since my knowledge about it is pretty small but these are the options I got atm.
The only other option for me is if my ISP changes my connection from ADSL to VDSL since then I would be able to use PPPoE which would work with the Peplink. I will get their answer in a few days.
This link explains it in detail maybe someone could tell me if I can do that with the Balance 20: http://robert.penz.name/484/howto-use-a-mikrotik-as-router-for-a-pppoa-dsl-internet-connection/
I would really like to use the Peplink Balance 20 since it seems quite easy to setup from the online demo. Also the Overflow algorithm is a nice thing which I definitely want to use.

Last edited:
PPTP is a VPN protocol.
I will be honest, I have never heard of a DSL connection requiring a PPTP tunnel in order to establish the flow of data.

Oddly enough, I've actually seen where PPTP is actually required on a couple of international providers - the WAN connection was only for a really big LAN, and they use PPTP for Radius Accounting purposes - think metered connections - one doesn't generally find this in the G7/G20 countries, but in the developing countries where pre-paid internet is more common...

My experience was in a developing country where the same services were offered on 2G/GPRS/EDGE, Dialup, and limited (but very fast) Broadband... I won't name who it is, as they are moving away from that architecture.

Oddly enough, I've actually seen where PPTP is actually required on a couple of international providers - the WAN connection was only for a really big LAN, and they use PPTP for Radius Accounting purposes - think metered connections - one doesn't generally find this in the G7/G20 countries, but in the developing countries where pre-paid internet is more common...

My experience was in a developing country where the same services were offered on 2G/GPRS/EDGE, Dialup, and limited (but very fast) Broadband... I won't name who it is, as they are moving away from that architecture.

In agreement, when I researched achieving PPPoA with FreeBSD/pfSense, the common (only?) way was to use PPTP. This was because of the integral relationship between PPTP & PPP, if my lazy memory is correct.

Edit: Link I referenced: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/pppoa.html
Embarassingly, I understand ~4 words in that link, but I think it is still related... :)

Last edited:
From what I know it is the problem of the router/modem my ISP hands out. PPPoA is used for ADSL and PPPoE for VDSL like everywhere else. But I require a PPTP to PPPoA relay if I want to use my own router and switch the one from my ISP to SingleUser where it runs similar to a normal modem. (It is explained in the link from my last post).

I could buy my own modem and use that but together with a Peplink I am exceeding my budget. The Draytek 2925, Linksys LRT224 and the Zyxel SBG3600-N all support PPPoA, PPTP, PPPoE so I'll rather buy one of those instead then. The question is just which one?