What's new

RP-AC55 Weak Connection with RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rekrap

New Around Here
Hi,

Can anyone advise what I should do?

My RP-AC55 (AiMesh) has been doing fine in the last couple of years, but recently I noticed that the connection to my RT-AX88U is very weak.

It was good before.

Is there anything I can do to improve this? The device is neither too far nor too near to my router.

Thanks much.

IMG_6893.jpg

I don't believe this is AiMesh capable? Have you flashed (and afterward fully reset) to the latest firmware on the repeater?

What firmware are you running on the RT-AX88U? When was the last time you updated it? And when was the last time you did a full reset on that unit too?

Have you tried resetting the repeater? Have you tried different locations of both the unit and the main router? Mere inches can make huge gains when adjusting the main router.

Put some numbers to your statements (please).

Have you tried using different Control Channels on the main router? Have you rebooted all your networking equipment at the same time to ensure your testing is valid and not using cached results?

For real AiMesh capabilities, consider an RT-AC66U_B1, RT-AC86U, or an RT-AX58U if this is a hardware issue on this device.

Also, consider relocating the main router (an RT-AX88U can cover an awfully large area). Using the repeater may actually be reducing the performance of the main router, overall. How many SqFt are you covering in your home?

Just because your network hasn't changed, doesn't mean that the Wi-Fi environment around you hasn't. Needing to continually adjust and explore what works is occasionally needed for any wireless network set up.

I solved the issue. I didn't need to reset my devices. I rebooted both devices again (even though I did it the first time when I was trying to remove and search for RP-AC55 to re-join my wifi-network). The connection is great now.

IMG_7039.jpg

I would also like to point out that RP-AC55 is AiMesh capable. I have been using it in the last 2 years or so. It was a little buggy 2 years ago, but with the firmware upgrade later, it has been working perfectly. I need not spend so much money on an AiMesh system or an AiMesh capable full router.

IMG_6925.jpg

Thanks.

Can I use the ethernet port on the RP-AC55 to do wired backhaul to my main router, which in my case is an AC86U running Merlin? I'm looking to extend the WiFi within my house using all the same SSIDs as is in my main router for both the main WiFi + guest networks on both bands.

Can I use the ethernet port on the RP-AC55 to do wired backhaul to my main router, which in my case is an AC86U running Merlin? I'm looking to extend the WiFi within my house using all the same SSIDs as is in my main router for both the main WiFi + guest networks on both bands.
I called Asus, and they told me that this config is OK, so I'm going to try it.

Router FW: 386.4
RP-AC55 FW: 3.0.0.4.384.83577

I have RT-AX88U and RP-AC55, problem is when i connect into AiMesh all good for few days and then RP-AC55 disappears and whatever i do, it wont show up in AiMesh.
I can still see RP-AC55 in DHCP it has assigned IP, but not present in AiMesh.

So i have to hard reset RP-AC55 and configute it again. Yesterday i rebooted router (after was all in AiMesh), then again RP-AC55 is gone.

Really drives me crazy how it doesn't work :(

Only reason i use it vs other Tenda AC1200 repeater (which was working great even better signal), that in "Web History" i can see web pages directly from each IP Device, not all hidden behind repeater IP.

Any clue what might be the issue? i contacted Asus directly but they might tell me it's due to Merlin FW , instead of fixing it :D

I called Asus, and they told me that this config is OK, so I'm going to try it.
Did you try Ethernet backhaul connection with RP-AC55? if yes, is it stable?

Yes, you can, and that is if available better setup option than via 2.4 or 5 ghz.