What's new

RP-AX56 can't use ethernet backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mscrivo

Occasional Visitor
Well this is rather disappointing. I just installed a new RP-AX56 extender thinking it would be a great extender for my AX88U, and the thing doesn't support ethernet backhaul on the current (and only) firmware:

Screenshot 2021-03-04 124251.png

I was not able to resolve it. Although, I never tried stock firmware on my AX88U, only using merlin firmware. Currently on 386.2 beta 1 and it's still showing the same warning. I contacted ASUS support about it and they said it should work as well. My guess is that they just couldn't get it in in time for the 1st firmware release and it will come in the next release hopefully.

So I decided to buy this repeater anyway to test it out, and interestingly ethernet backhaul works for me! I'm using an XT8 running the latest stock firmware (3.0.0.4.386_41793) as the router and an RP-AC56 running the only firmware available (3.0.0.4.386_26131)

1615857298527.png

I was not able to resolve it. Although, I never tried stock firmware on my AX88U, only using merlin firmware. Currently on 386.2 beta 1 and it's still showing the same warning. I contacted ASUS support about it and they said it should work as well. My guess is that they just couldn't get it in in time for the 1st firmware release and it will come in the next release hopefully.
Hi, did you manage to get it to work ? I wonder if the problem is with the merlin firmware ?
Otherwise, has anyone succeeded ?

I am just planning to buy a router, install merlin, and extend the network with the RP-AX56 in backhaul mode ... so that worries me :eek:

Thanks !

Hi, did you manage to get it to work ? I wonder if the problem is with the merlin firmware ?
Otherwise, has anyone succeeded ?

I am just planning to buy a router, install merlin, and extend the network with the RP-AX56 in backhaul mode ... so that worries me :eek:

Thanks !
It's been fixed in the latest firmware for the ax56

Hi guys!
I just wanted to post my conclusion regarding this repeater: i just bought two of RP-AX56. They won't connect into my AiMesh wireless node no matter what i do. Latest FW on repeaters, latest Merlin FW on my RT-AX88U router. It connects, say it's done, but then it's unavailable.
It connects normally into AiAMesh wired, but not wireless.
At the end i decided to "kill" AiMesh" system, since i have the feeling that it's not working like it should: recently i bought Auna internet radio and it didn't want to connect to my AiMesh network, but it did instantly to guest 2.4GHz node. So now i have set up as wireless access point and works great. Range is quite ok, interconnection between repeater and router is even better than with old RT-AC66U router, set as AP (even on 2.4GHz band).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!