What's new

RT-66N in AP mode with Guest Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

clifton.stokes

Occasional Visitor
Is it possible to put the router in AP mode have a guest network that will not see the rest of the intranet.

I just want internet access.

I looked at all the post on the forum for Guest and setting up different scripts to control it. They all depended on the router being in router mode.

I have a main router that does DHCP for the main network. It could also hand out IP for the guest network if I use vlans (I think)

But I would just like to use the Rt-N66 as an AP with a guest DHCP server in another subnet.

Main network 10.0.0.X Provided by main router
Guest to be 192.168.1.X Provided by RT-66R

Does anyone have any examples of scripts to configure this?

Thank for any help.

Not possible, as the AP has no control over the rest in your LAN as handled by the router beyond itself.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

AP with DHCP server

Is it possible to run dnsmasq when in AP mode?

I would like it to be the DHCP server for the guest network and would script it to bind with the wl0.1 interface (guest)

Then just have it send traffic to the gateway of the main router.

Or would it be easier to just to tagged vlans and work on the main router to see how to support that.

I could do separate ports for each vlan but it would require a little rewiring to do that. I have other devices connect to the switch part of the router.

Currently with the router in AP mode and having a guest network does not do anything. (different ssid but same subnet and guest can see the rest of the network)

Seems like what I am asking would be rather common with other using it as an AP to increase the coverage at a house.

Does anyone else have a similar network and what did they do to separate the guest from the main network

Thanks

You can only have one DHCP server per network segment. Since an AP is only a bridge, that would mean having two DHCP servers in the same network segment - not allowed.

For your needs you might as well simply set the AP as a router, which will isolate its clients into its own network.

AP with DHCP

I only want the AP to give out address on the 192.168.1.X segment which is the guest one.

I have all the rest of the equipment on the 10.0.0.x segment.

The reason I don't have it in router mode that I have 3 NAS connected to the router. If I put it in router mode, I would lose connection to the NAS on the rest of the network.

I guess that I am going to have to look into VLAN's and see what I can do with that.

Thanks for your replys

Cliff

Cliff, it sounds to me like you want the device to be a router on both subnets: one to provide DHCP and NAT to 198.162.1.xxx, and the other to participate in 10.0.0.xxx.

Perhaps you could consider leaving it as an AP on 10.0.0.xxx and cascading it to another router to serve 192.168.1.xxx?

AP

I was hoping to reduce things down to just 1 router.

I had done it with DD-wrt on another router but then I wanted to upgrade the router and not have as much configuration to do.

I guess I will be doing that in the mean time till I figure out how to get it to work with this router.

Thanks for the suggestion

Cliff

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!