What's new

RT-66x beginner questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rtfm

Occasional Visitor
A friend bought multiple RT-66W's and then decided to ask me how to deploy same. I've read the so-called Fine Manual, parts of the mega topic here, and other sources, but still have multiple questions.

1. U vs W
    What are the differences between the U I see reviewed here and the W's he bought?
    [*]Central tool
    The ASUS marketing points me to a demo page of some configuration tool but makes it clear as mud iffen it's internal to each 66, and only applicable to one unit, or hosted elsewhere on your LAN and works on all. What's it called?
    [*]Wall mounting
    Is wall mounting disallowed or just ignored? The internal pictures show the heat sinks running L-R vs F-R, so hanging it with antennas up would be ill-advised.

Last edited:
A friend bought multiple RT-66W's and then decided to ask me how to deploy same. I've read the so-called Fine Manual, parts of the mega topic here, and other sources, but still have multiple questions.

1. U vs W
    What are the differences between the U I see reviewed here and the W's he bought?
    [*]Central tool
    The ASUS marketing points me to a demo page of some configuration tool but makes it clear as mud iffen it's internal to each 66, and only applicable to one unit, or hosted elsewhere on your LAN and works on all. What's it called?
    [*]Wall mounting
    Is wall mounting disallowed or just ignored? The internal pictures show the heat sinks running L-R vs F-R, so hanging it with antennas up would be ill-advised.
1. AFAIK, the only difference is color...black vs. white.
2. The page your post links to is a copy of the first page of the router's internal web interface which you access by putting 192.168.1.1 in your browser's address bar. It is where you configure the router. (Notice the "dummy_ui" in the URL of your link).
3. The stand included in the box with the router puts it on edge with the antennae on top. Mine has lived in that configuration for several years now with no apparent ill effects. Wall mounting may impede airflow at the back of the router unless you stand it off a bit.

Start with the "Quick Internet Setup" button at the top-left of the aforementioned page and go with the defaults unless you know better but if you are doing wifi, do opt for the WPA2-AES encryption.

Last edited:
1. AFAIK, the only difference is color...black vs. white.
2. The page your post links to is a copy of the first page of the router's internal web interface which you access by putting 192.168.1.1 in your browser's address bar. It is where you configure the router. (Notice the "dummy_ui" in the URL of your link).

I knew it was a dummy demo, but it was not clear if if was internal i.e. one unit only, or it it was external/managed all on the LAN. I'm disappointed there is not a utility for same as I've found on competitors.

3. The stand included in the box with the router puts it on edge with the antennae on top.

My concern is the heat sink fins run across the unit. That's OK horizontally but when placed vertically, you want the fins vertical to promote drafts.

Start with the "Quick Internet Setup" button at the top-left of the aforementioned page and go with the defaults unless you know better but if you are doing wifi, do opt for the WPA2-AES encryption.

It will have to wait until I get there & see them in person.

I knew it was a dummy demo, but it was not clear if if was internal i.e. one unit only, or it it was external/managed all on the LAN. I'm disappointed there is not a utility for same as I've found on competitors.

If you really must get remote management, you can enable WAN access. Make sure to use a secure login however (and if possible an IP access list as well). But ideally you should use a VPN tunnel to access them remotely.

Not sure by "tool" if you refer to those applications provided by some manufacturers such as Linksys, or the cloud-based management of Linksys' Smart devices. The tool is a security disaster so far, there's been quite a few security issues related to the protocol used by these tools, so be glad Asus does not support that management protocol.

If you are however referring to cloud-based management, this isn't really common with home devices, and something that comes with its own share of security (and privacy) concerns. When Linksys initially launched their cloud-based management, it was mandatory, and their disclaimer flat out said that they had the right to monitor your router usage. They backed down a bit due to the number of upset customers that complained, but I still wouldn't trust such remote interfaces, considering the poor track record of SOHO router security.

My want was/is a LAN-wide management tool, such as the tool UniFi {allegedly - I've not used it} & others such as ZyXEL offer; so you can see the big picture of the LAN, not the lone AP. Are they also weak spots?

I fully agree re: the folly of allowing outside access to the LAN. I was looking at some other line a few weeks ago where the only way to do so was "the cloud" i.e. let Big Brother run your net segment. Yea Sure.

My want was/is a LAN-wide management tool, such as the tool UniFi {allegedly - I've not used it} & others such as ZyXEL offer; so you can see the big picture of the LAN, not the lone AP. Are they also weak spots?

This is more into business-class product territory. The closest you could get is running my firmware (which includes SNMP support), and using a tool such as the one provided by Spiceworks to manage your LAN. This will let you fully monitor the router over SNMP. It might also let you manage it over SNMP, however I have never tested that part myself - I only know that Asus does expose most of the router's configuration over proprietary OIDs.

SNMP-based management should be secure, especially if going with SNMPv3 which also includes encryption.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!