What's new

RT-AC-86U - Help with No Free Space Left for GC (Solved for now)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well... the router was locked up this morning. I have it to reboot at 330AM every day - but it never completed.

So.. it did the factory reset, keyed in most things - and did a reboot (from the interface). Booted good. Then I finished some more settings - and reboot again.. and it hung on "Completed"... had to power cycle.

So now I'm confused why it won't reliably boot from a "soft" reboot..

That is a known issue with an unknown cause right now. ;)

When you say 'it did the factory reset...' do you mean the router self-reset or that you initiated that process? :)

What firmware are you on now? Did you try the latest 45713 code from Asus?

Ok... so the soft reboot problem isn't just me? Is it code related or hardware? That would be a non-starter for me... it's been rebooting daily virtually without issue for about a year on the Asus code (until a few days ago)

And sorry about "it" - "I" did the reset (via the reset button).

Now... after the soft boot hang.. wondering if it was code related - I did try the ASUS firmware. First I saved the Merlin setup - then reset - then uploaded ASUS 45713.

I keyed in everything from scratch - again. Everything looked good. Then I did a reboot from the WebUI. .. and it never came back. I was in full brick. Had to use the Asus Restore utility to bring it back.

So... I uploaded Merlin 384.10.2 with the utility - and once back - I restored the settings I saved this morning.. It's back again - but still hangs on a soft reboot.

I *will* try the ASUS setup again... but another day for that. And I'll turn off the auto reboots.

I was beginning to worry that some flash may have failed - but if the problem is known... I'll wait before buying another router.

EDIT: Added code version for Merlin - and added comment about the reboot hang.

Last edited:
Ok... so the soft reboot problem isn't just me? Is it code related or hardware? That would be a non-starter for me... it's been rebooting daily virtually without issue for about a year on the Asus code (until a few days ago)

And sorry about "it" - "I" did the reset (via the reset button).

Now... after the soft boot hang.. wondering if it was code related - I did try the ASUS firmware. First I saved the Merlin setup - then reset - then uploaded ASUS 45713.

I keyed in everything from scratch - again. Everything looked good. Then I did a reboot from the WebUI. .. and it never came back. I was in full brick. Had to use the Asus Restore utility to bring it back.

So... I uploaded Merlin 384.10.2 with the utility - and once back - I restored the settings I saved this morning.. It's back again - but still hangs on a soft reboot.

I *will* try the ASUS setup again... but another day for that. And I'll turn off the auto reboots.

I was beginning to worry that some flash may have failed - but if the problem is known... I'll wait before buying another router.

EDIT: Added code version for Merlin - and added comment about the reboot hang.

Like I stated above, the cause is not known right now. :(

You need to put your router into a good/known state, your method indicated above isn't doing that.

Please see the M&M Config link in my signature below, but you need to flash the firmware you want first, reset to factory defaults (in your case I would recommend doing a WPS Erase and to format the jffs partition too, then, reflash the same firmware and do a final reset to factory defaults), do not use a saved config file, do a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP.

After doing the above thoroughly, add each customization in slowly, testing (and rebooting as a test) as you go. :)

Thanks for the method... I'll let you know.

I knew this all better way back when I had my AC66U - in 2013.. and enjoyed Merlin since then.

Once that router died.. I got the 86U in Fall of 2017...

Didn't care anymore about the absolute best throughput or range - but reliability is everything to me.

I like reliable remote access - and can live with a router that hiccups - provided I know it will reliably reboot in the evening - and be available in the morning. Either via router-based VPN, or TeamViewer to a computer behind the router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!