What's new

RT-AC3100: Current state of stock firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rbroph1

New Around Here
Hello,

I just have a pretty simple question regarding the latest ASUS firmware's, my RT-AC3100 is currently rocking F/W 384.81116, which I realize is now just over a year old at this point, and usually I'm pretty on top of keeping my routers up-to-date, but I have been pretty lazy for the last year.

I have seen a few posts about the new 385.x firmwares being a little buggy here and there and a few members having to revert back to older ones, which have made my motivation to update a little low with how stable my current firmware/config is, but I have seen that the new firmwares have fixed a few vulnerabilities. Would it be worth it to try the current version of 385.20631 or has anyone still had some deal breaking bugs lingering in it? Or would I want to move over to merlins builds if I wanted to patch these vulnerabilities?

Sorry for the odd question, but I just wanted to know what the current thoughts on the latest firmwares were since my long time since updating

If you're going to make a change, make it a good one. Any reason you are not using RMerlin firmware?

The latest 386.1 Alpha 3 available is stable and performs very well too for me.

It is at least worth a test in your environment.

Take a backup of your config and JFFS partitions along with the firmware you're currently running and give this Alpha 3 a go.

Worse comes to worst, flash the firmware you are using today, reset to factory defaults and then restore the backup you made to get back to where you are now.

I made that exact change on a whim last night, but I didn't opt into the alpha version, I'm on 384.19 stable for now. (Bad experiences with some previous alpha/betas of other things, lol)

I actually did use your M&M config as a base to my router firmware flashing/upgrading procedures with my own config tweaks on top of it to get it to a good known state after the merlin flash that is good for my environment, thank you for taking your time to make such a good guide to start with! Now to just figure out some log spam I'm getting since the flash, but that isn't a biggie.

Side note, I can't find any changelog for the 386.1 alphas, is that somewhere on here or on merlins site and I'm not looking well enough?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!