1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC3100 EMF_ERROR and Connection Loss

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by David B, Dec 5, 2018 at 8:01 PM.

1. David B

David B Regular Contributor

I am using an RT-AC3100 router as a media bridge and I am having a very annoying issue with it. I want to set up my Raspberry Pi as a torrent seed box* and recently rebooted my main router (an RT-AC88U) while it was in the middle of downloading a torrent. Once the main router rebooted, I attempted to use the "Force Resume" option to pick up the download where it left off. That's when I ran in to a problem. For some reason, whenever I try to force resume a torrent on my Pi, the AC3100 is dropping its connection to my WiFi and the following error is appearing in the log file.

Code:
    Dec  5 18:00:49 kernel: EMF_ERROR: Interface wl1.5 doesn't exist
    Dec  5 18:00:49 kernel: EMF_ERROR: Interface wl1.1 doesn't exist
    Dec  5 18:00:49 kernel: EMF_ERROR: Interface wl1.4 doesn't exist
    Dec  5 18:00:49 kernel: EMF_ERROR: Interface wl1.3 doesn't exist
    Dec  5 18:00:49 kernel: EMF_ERROR: Interface wl1.2 doesn't exist
    Dec  5 18:00:49 kernel: Register interface [wl1.1]  MAC: [REMOVED FOR PRIVACY]
    Dec  5 18:00:49 kernel: Register interface [wl1.2]  MAC: [REMOVED FOR PRIVACY]
    Dec  5 18:00:49 kernel: EMF_ERROR: Interface wl1.6 doesn't exist
    Dec  5 18:00:50 kernel: Register interface [wl1.3]  MAC: [REMOVED FOR PRIVACY]
    Dec  5 18:00:52 kernel: Register interface [wl1.4]  MAC: [REMOVED FOR PRIVACY]
    Dec  5 18:00:53 kernel: Register interface [wl1.5]  MAC: [REMOVED FOR PRIVACY]
    My AC3100 has the following devices attached to it:
    • My desktop computer
    • My mom's desktop computer
    • My dad's desktop computer
    • A 100Mb Ethernet hub. Attached to the Ethernet hub are:
      • A printer
      • My Raspberry Pi
    Does anyone have any idea what is going on or what I could do to fix it? I am reasonably sure it is related to the torrent because it always seems to happen whenever I force resume it. Both my router (RT-AC88U) and my media bridge (RT-AC3100) are running Merlin 384.8 and the torrent client that I am using on my Pi is qBittorent. I tried performing a factory reset on the media bridge but that proved to be useless. It is also worth noting that this issue did not first appear when I upgraded to 384.8, as this was happening when I was running the previous version as well.

Update: I just tested the force recheck on me desktop PC and it happened again so it's not specific to the Raspberry Pi.

* Because I am sure that someone on here will be compelled to call me a pirate, let the record show that I am using torrenting for legitimate reasons.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 5:52 PM
  2. David B

David B Regular Contributor

I figured out the problem. I suppose I should not be surprised that the hub was causing the problem. Since I only use my Pi headless, it doesn't matter where it resides, so I plugged it in to my main router instead. Problem solved!