What's new

RT-AC3100 vs GT-AX600 speed in AC mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SpykeYs

Occasional Visitor
Hi !

I bought a new GT-AX6000 as an upgrade from my aging RT-AC3100. My goal is to put my RT-AC3100 in access point mode in the basement for improved coverage. I have to admit, I have only being using 2.4 Ghz in the past due to distance. Now, with my new setup, my goal is to enable 5Ghz everywhere.

My new GT-AX6000 is on my main floor and I am getting speeds of ~600 mbps using 5Ghz pretty much everywhere on the main floor. When I go in the basement (without the access point), it drops to ~150 mbps which is expected. My assumption was if I put my RT-AC3100 as an access point in the basement, I would most likely be able to achieve ~600 mbps there as well.

What I discovered is my RT-AC3100 is only capable of averaging ~100-175 mbps pretty much anywhere, even if you sit beside the router. Why is that ? Why is the RT-AC3100 not able to achieve the same ~600 mbps as my GT-AX6000 in 5Ghz mode ?

Please note my test device is an iPhone XS which is using the AC protocol.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because right now, there is not much point using the RT-AC3100 as an AP if without it I get barely the same speed.

Thanks!!!

The RT-AC3100 was the best long-range router (2.4GHz) I've ever used. But it is an old model/design today.

What you experience with a single AX class router of the level you have is what all my customers also experience; less need for older routers to be used as nodes (mixing AC and AX simply makes the network potentially unstable, but almost always slower).

You may want to fully reset and test the RT-AC3100 again in AP mode (if you haven't done so already).

But the best use of that old router today is probably in Media Bridge mode to any (far, from the main router) wired-capable, devices that you want the fastest speeds to.

What are you using for backhaul? Or does access point mode dictate that backhaul is wired vs repeater mode using wireless?

Last edited:
What are you using for backhaul? Or does access point mode dictate that backhaul is wired vs repeaster mode using wireless?

The RT-AC3100 is configured in AP mode and physically connected via LAN ports to the GT-AX6000. That being said, I tested the RT-AC3100 alone in router mode, same location as my GT-AX6000 and even as a router mode, I'm only able to get 100-175 mbps when I'm near the router where has with the GT-AX6000 I get up to 600 mbps.

My test device is an iPhone XS which uses AC (and not AX).

I'm curious as to why RT-AC3100 can only do 100-175 mbps on 5ghz AC but the GT-AX6000 does up to 600 mbps which is a significant increase. I understand the GT-AX6000 is WiFI6 but in this scenario, as i'm using iPhone XS it is only using AC protocol.

Why such big difference in speed between the two model ?

The RT-AC3100 is based on 2015 design specs.

The GT-AX6000 is based on late 2021/early 2022 design specs.

This is in line with almost every other AC vs. AX class comparison I have witnessed. The RF design, the SDK, the hardware, and all intermediary components are all upgraded for a reason, not just for marketing (sometimes).

See the link above to see how a single RT-AX68U (much below the GT-AX6000 we're talking about here) is superior to 2x RT-AC86U (a much better AC class router than the RT-AC3100 ever was).

The RT-AC3100 is configured in AP mode and physically connected via LAN ports to the GT-AX6000. That being said, I tested the RT-AC3100 alone in router mode, same location as my GT-AX6000 and even as a router mode, I'm only able to get 100-175 mbps when I'm near the router where has with the GT-AX6000 I get up to 600 mbps.

My test device is an iPhone XS which uses AC (and not AX).

I'm curious as to why RT-AC3100 can only do 100-175 mbps on 5ghz AC but the GT-AX6000 does up to 600 mbps which is a significant increase. I understand the GT-AX6000 is WiFI6 but in this scenario, as i'm using iPhone XS it is only using AC protocol.

Why such big difference in speed between the two model ?

Something seems off. My Pixel 6 connected to my AC68U is getting ~600 Mbps down and ~580 up.

Something is definitely off. I'm trying to understand why my RT-AC3100 cannot get ~500 mbps via 5Ghz.

Did you check the Wireless Log to see that you are connected to that router and if it is, then what channel, the bandwidth of that channel, and the RX/TX & RSSI of that connection.

Something like this from my RT-AC3100 AP where a iPad (2017) and a Intel Wireless-AC 3160 (2013) laptop are connected.
1682660004989.png

1682659882766.png