What's new

RT-AC3100 vs RT-AC88u vs RT-AC3200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

About a year ago I tried all the 'high end' consumer routers (at the time) BestBuy had, Netgear R8000, Linksys WRT3200AC, Buffalo AirStation 1750, Asus rt-ac3100. I flashed every offical, open source and 3rd party firmware I could find for every router I had but only one combination could pull off all the functions that I needed it to. The Asus RT-AC3100 running Merlin Firmware.

Our home netowrk has 17 wi-fi devices connected, a 24 port switch connected, VPN Client active w/ policy routing, stream movies from the routers usb with a WD mypassport (self-powered through USB 3.0), Netflix streaming in full HD to 3-4 TV's at the same time, tablets phones, online gaming, all mostly over wifi and this thing is like a rock. Never lags or reboots, it's on the 2nd floor of a 3 story home and I get wifi coverage inside and out in the yard no problem.

Merlin runs great on the 3100 and the resource usage is amazing, the CPU rarely goes over 10% and the average RAM use average is about 15%. Only thing I would have done differently would've been to wait a little longer for the 88U to release just because those extra ports could've come in handy!
I suspect the reason is extra RAM, 512MB vs 256MB.

Can you elaborate what is lacking with R8000?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!