What's new

RT-AC3200 can’t print on Wifi connected Printer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Toodyt

Occasional Visitor
I had a problem connecting to my wifi Printer when I first installed it. It was solved by changing AP Isolation to Yes.
Since the latest update last week I can’t connect to it again.
They have both been rebooted and printer has had wifi setup changed and it connected to the network.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a problem connecting to my wifi Printer when I first installed it. It was solved by changing AP Isolation to Yes.
Since the latest update last week I can’t connect to it again.
They have both been rebooted and printer has had wifi setup changed and it connected to the network.

Thanks in advance

AP Isolated/Isolation means the wireless clients will not be able to communicate with each other. So, I would leave this disabled.

And disable Airtime Fairness for each band.

And wire the printer, if possible.

And disable the printer's WiFi Direct AP; if present, not being used, and possible.

And try assigning a static IP address to the printer before installing its driver... long shot.

OE

Well I have set AP Isolate to NO on all 3 Bands!

Airtime Fairness is DISABLED on all 3 Bands!

Wireless Direct is Off on the Printer!

I have changed the IP of the wireless!

I can only ping the IP from a PC wired to the router. But I cannot connect to the printer from that PC or any other device except if you connected with USB.

I can access the Web service from the PC wired to the router.
I can also print from that PC as well.

Cannot ping or access from my iPhone or Tablet

Ted

Have you got any other computers (rather than phones and tablets) that you can check the connectivity with?

I have a surface which is the device usually used to print.

It also cannot ping or access the Web browser.

Can you show us what it says on the router's System Log > Wireless Log page.

What firmware version are you running?

Do you have anything else on your network, like routers, repeaters, range extenders, etc.?

EDIT: Are you using any VPN's?

IMG_0376.jpg
IMG_0377.jpg

These show the Firmware which was updated last week.
Also the wireless Logs for the 2.4 and. 5 gig bands.

I can see that your printer is connected to the 2.4GHz band and your client devices are connected to the 5GHz band. As an experiment can you turn off the router's 5GHz radios (or just rename their SSID to something other than TGARD) to force the clients onto the same band as the printer. Then trying pinging the printer again. There may be an issue/bug going between bands.

Do you have any guest wifi networks setup?

I wondered if it would be the update since it had been working!

The Guest WiFi is disabled!

I have 1 of the 5 GHz bands disabled as well.

I will try your suggestion with separate SSIDs later tonight.
I have the Smart connect on and will have to turn it off without upsetting the household!!

Thanks

Yes I have turned OFF the smart connect and put the devices on the same band and can print.

Thanks

OK That's interesting. But obviously not a configuration you can leave it in.

I don't know anything about Smart Connect and how it works. Perhaps you could try re-enabling 5GHz but not use Smart Connect, just give the 5GHz band a different SSID. Then get the clients to connect to the new 5GHz SSID and see if the problem reoccurs.

Hi, printers also make use of multicast messages to annonunce theirselves, so I would also try playing/switching the IGMP snooping setting of both involved bands to see it fixes the problem.

Interesting I have turned off the Smart Connect! Given the 2 Bands separate SSIDs and tried the Printer on both Bands.

You can Print with devices on either band!
You do not need to be on the same band!

Well that's good news. I suppose the next thing to do is turn on Smart Connect and see if it stops working. Hopefully that will be the case, because then we can lay the blame on the Smart Connect function.

P.S. You really don't need to end every sentence with an exclamation point. ;)

Well that's good news. I suppose the next thing to do is turn on Smart Connect and see if it stops working. Hopefully that will be the case, because then we can lay the blame on the Smart Connect function.

P.S. You really don't need to end every sentence with an exclamation point. ;)

Any chance the blame would lay with the printer/nic/driver not able to manage identical SSIDs? I suspect a lot of printers are working OK with Smart Connect.

OP: Can you wire the printer?

OE

Any chance the blame would lay with the printer/nic/driver not able to manage identical SSIDs?
Anything's possible, although I think it's unlikely in this case. Beyond the initial connection the printer will be using the BSSID (which is different for each band) and we can see in post #9 that the printer has been connected for 38 minutes.

I suspect a lot of printers are working OK with Smart Connect.
Sounds like it might be a bug introduced in the latest firmware update. Possibly model specific?

I would have to agree with it being a bug in the firmware.
We did have it working for a couple of weeks on Smart Connect until the update.

I was recently having a similar issue when using Smart Connect and UPnP. Using WireShark, I confirmed the SSDP packets were only being sent out on my 5.0 band but not the 2.4 one when they should have been.

After a lot of iterations, I ended up enabling the IMGP Proxy setting in the LAN - IPTV section. If you go back to Smart Connect and it doesn't work. Try enabling the proxy and see if that solves the problem.

Because it's clearly a bug, it's not clear if I would have solved the problem if I set the proxy setting first or if it was some sequence of events I did that propagated the setting correctly and resolved the issue.

My wireless printer has also been acting wonky from time to time, so I also believe it may also have been related to this.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!