What's new

RT-AC3200 running low on NVRAM

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

paul464646

Occasional Visitor
HI,

I have a RT-AC3200 with 380.66.4 installed, keep getting low NVRAM warning messages:

Internal Storage
NVRAM usage
62819 / 65536 bytes

1) If I back up the router settings to a file, then do a factory default! will this resolve the NVRAM low issue?

2) will uploading the routers setting from a file definitely return back to my configuration i.e. wifi name/password, client devices names/pictures ect.......

Many thanks for any assistance.

Paul.....

Creating a back up file will return your router to the same settings , however if those settings are causing the lack of memory you will achieve nothing.

Are you using a lot of scripts and features?

I would try powering the router off for a few minutes and then see what nvram is available after restarting.

There are many threads here about this issue, your thread title inserted in the search box will provide answers.

The same happened to me last week but i am on 380.67_alpha2-g1bd1e71. I had to reset to defaults, and reconfigure it manual, since restoring from backup(using nvram-restore.sh) didn't help, i think there were too much changes from last few years. But even after i setup everything, very minimal configs: parental control , open VPN(1 server), 2 rules for port forwarding and Adaptive QOS. I am very close to start getting this warnings again as i'm approaching the limit 62128 / 65536 bytes. I am thinking to disable parental control and see if this will free up some nvram.

No scripts!, do have parental DNS and web site logging, these are standard features!

What's the typical NVRAM usage when running?

One please help...........

What's the typical NVRAM usage when running the RT-AC3200 router??

As I've rebooted the router and NVRAM usage 62217

Mine is right up there without about 4K too, again no scripts. Merlin replied in my other thread that the extra wifi channel causes about 7K+ more usage.
A bit of a quandary as I'm just learning to make use of the smart connect feature, the area of 2.4 v 5 Ghz is a particular feature that I feel does help my situation
It's a shame asus have cripped this somewhat :-(

Same issue here, same router. Sucks. Wonder if the default asus firmware deals with this any better? probably not.

Seems to of freed up lots of room. I guess I can add this as a startup command, and never have to worry about it again. Hopefully it works long-term. Thank you once again for this.

380.67 should free up around 3 KB of nvram space on the RT-AC3200 (a factory default reset might be needed however, unless you want to unset a few dozens nvram settings yourself).

My AC3200 :
Internal Storage
NVRAM usage
54631 / 65536 bytes

When upgrading I always reboot from GUI , flash new firmware ,once flashed power down router for 2-3 minutes then power on again.

I factory reset @ every third upgrade or if there is any sign of problems .

From 380.67 onwards there is a big saving on nvram.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!