What's new

RT-AC3200 Wired D/L limited to 50 mpbs on 250 mbps connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dalayrcf

New Around Here
I used to have a 50 mbps connection till recently so did not notice this issue. I have the RT-AC3200 setup behind the ISP modem which in turn is behind the ISP fibre ONT. If I connect my laptop directly to the ISP modem, using SpeedTest.Net I consistently get the 250 mbps speeds. I tried this with 2 different ethernet cables to test both those cables (one of which is normally the one connecting my RT-AC3200 to the ISP Modem). When I connect my laptop to the RT-AC3200 using the same cable and run the same test with the same server, I get between 47 to 52 mbps.

I have tried resetting to factory defaults, even tried a 30/30/30 reset and flashing from scratch. Made no difference. Hardware Acceleration shows as CTF enabled. I'm running the 384.9 (latest merlin build) however, the same issue persisted with an earlier build.

Any suggestions on possible config/settings that may be causing this?

I also have an Nvidia Shield running through this modem on a wired connection but so far have not found a way to do a proper speed test through it (suggestions welcome).

Thanks.

First, the 30/30/30 reset does not work with Asus routers. Please see my signature below for information on how to properly reset your router to factory defaults.

Secondly, why are you not connecting the RT-AC3200 directly to the ONT?

Thirdly, get rid of the ISP supplied 'modem'. :)

I would recommend that you connect the RT-AC3200 to the ONT and then flash the latest RMerlin firmware (384.10 Final) and then proceed to do a full M&M Config (see signature below). Including doing a 'format jffs on next reboot' and an NVRAM erase too, for good measure.

You should now be in a good/known state where real troubleshooting can begin if needed. ;)

First, the 30/30/30 reset does not work with Asus routers. Please see my signature below for information on how to properly reset your router to factory defaults.

Secondly, why are you not connecting the RT-AC3200 directly to the ONT?

Thirdly, get rid of the ISP supplied 'modem'. :)

I would recommend that you connect the RT-AC3200 to the ONT and then flash the latest RMerlin firmware (384.10 Final) and then proceed to do a full M&M Config (see signature below). Including doing a 'format jffs on next reboot' and an NVRAM erase too, for good measure.

You should now be in a good/known state where real troubleshooting can begin if needed. ;)

Thanks for the quick and informative response. Much appreciated. The reason I have not connected directly to the ONT is that there is a VOIP and IPTV service through the ISP as well and I do not know how to configure those through my own modem. Would love some guidance on how to go about that though!

I'll try the reset and config like you mentioned though and see if that makes a difference.

One thing I wanted to add though... as I mentioned I have an Nvidia Shield also using my router and I ran the "Check Internet Connection" from Netflix running on it, and it shows the connection speed correctly as 250 mbps. Not sure how/why!

With your VOIP and IPTV you are probably going to be better off keeping the ISP's equipment which is in fact a router and not a modem.

Double NAT your AC3200 behind the ISP's router which means connecting a cable from the ISP's router to the WAN port on your AC3200. Make sure the AC3200 DHCP server and LAN is in a different subnet than the ISP router's subnet. Running in a double NAT setup will not have any measurable impact on latency or speed.

Also as L&LD stated start off be doing a factory reset on the AC3200 with a minimal setup.

If this doesn't work check that the ISP's router doesn't have QOS setup which could be imacting your speeds.

With your VOIP and IPTV you are probably going to be better off keeping the ISP's equipment which is in fact a router and not a modem.

Double NAT your AC3200 behind the ISP's router which means connecting a cable from the ISP's router to the WAN port on your AC3200. Make sure the AC3200 DHCP server and LAN is in a different subnet than the ISP router's subnet. Running in a double NAT setup will not have any measurable impact on latency or speed.

Also as L&LD stated start off be doing a factory reset on the AC3200 with a minimal setup.

If this doesn't work check that the ISP's router doesn't have QOS setup which could be imacting your speeds.

Yup, I meant ISP Router, not ISP Modem. The ISP Router is setup without DHCP server so i'm assuming it would not have QOS setup, but I can check. Will also check on the ONT Gateway.

Based on your description of it, I already have a Double NAT setup. i.e. cable running from one of the ISP Router's LAN ports to the WAN port of the AC3200.

I will post back here once I have done a reset and M&M config and checked on the QOS.

Thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!