What's new

RT-AC5300 2,4GHz speed loss on channel 5 and very instable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That doesn't correlate either. You should have both bands working on the 68U node.

OE
It's reserved for backhaul on ac68u, from my understanding. Btw on ac68u I see the 5GHz-1 ssid of ac5300 but I cannot connect as ac68u is requesting me the password but failed authentication eventi if the password is correct. So on AiMesh mode only the 2,4GHz ssid is available for clients

Then I wonder why everyone complains about AiMesh stealing their third band.
Because if you have a LAN backhaul the 2nd 5G is unused (reserved for Aimesh if LAN fails) and not usable for clients.
Not a big deal but they bought expensive 3 band router and stay with only 2 left.

It's reserved for backhaul on ac68u, from my understanding. Btw on ac68u I see the 5GHz-1 ssid of ac5300 but I cannot connect as ac68u is requesting me the password but failed authentication eventi if the password is correct. So on AiMesh mode only the 2,4GHz ssid is available for clients

From what I know, clients should be able to connect to the 5.0-1 band on your 5300 AiMesh router; and the 5.0-2 band should only be usable by a wireless AiMesh backhaul. And, clients should be able to connect to both bands on the 68U AiMesh node; otherwise, what's the point of that node if it can't extend WiFi coverage for both bands.

If you've got weird things happening, maybe you need to build it back up, one piece at a time. The 68U node should offer both bands to clients. Make sure all radios are broadcasting their signal.

OE

i'm using a 68u connected as a node to another 86u node, although i'm using wired backhaul i just tried a wireless one between them and i can confirm i can use both bands on both routers. don't have a tri band router to try unfortunately.

From what I know, clients should be able to connect to the 5.0-1 band on your 5300 AiMesh router; and the 5.0-2 band should only be usable by a wireless AiMesh backhaul. And, clients should be able to connect to both bands on the 68U AiMesh node; otherwise, what's the point of that node if it can't extend WiFi coverage for both bands.

If you've got weird things happening, maybe you need to build it back up, one piece at a time. The 68U node should offer both bands to clients. Make sure all radios are broadcasting their signal.

OE

About this issue, I had open a thread in the recent past:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/5ghz-ssid-on-aimesh-node-is-not-accesible.57938/#post-508438

I think that is so strange that I cannot force the connection to 5GHz on AiMesh Node but clients are able to connect automatically when they need

Yep, weird.

I would reset all and configure from scratch with separate SSIDs and fixed channels, but you may have already tried this.

OE

Do you mean to don't use AiMesh?

By the way it seems that 5Ghz on AiMesh Node is normal to be not available for manual connection for clients with my config, and I think it's because of this that they said that AiMesh steal a SSID.
But I saw some clients connected to this SSID automatically, so I could say I'm happy as it is.
Also tried to rebuild the AiMesh Node more than one time but same result

Do you mean to don't use AiMesh?

By the way it seems that 5Ghz on AiMesh Node is normal to be not available for manual connection for clients with my config, and I think it's because of this that they said that AiMesh steal a SSID.
But I saw some clients connected to this SSID automatically, so I could say I'm happy as it is.
Also tried to rebuild the AiMesh Node more than one time but same result

I have a 2xRT-AC86U AiMesh... see my notes.

The whole point of AiMesh is to extend ALL WiFi coverage by adding nodes. Currently, the third band on tri-band routers is dedicated to the AiMesh backhaul even if using a wired backhaul. This does not prevent nodes from offering both bands to clients.

Maybe your media bridge is messing with things.

Me, I would rebuild the network one piece at a time, AiMesh first, and make sure the WiFi is performing as it should. Given your 68U, I would use separate SSIDs and fixed channels. At some point, you should be able to observe what is disabling your AiMesh node WiFi band(s). You'll want to know this since it may relate to the instability you first posted about. The network is everything... it has got to be stable.

OE

The whole point of AiMesh is to extend ALL WiFi coverage by adding nodes. Currently, the third band on tri-band routers is dedicated to the AiMesh backhaul even if using a wired backhaul. This does not prevent nodes from offering both bands to clients.

OE

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.
Tthe AiMesh Router wifis are all available for connections, manually or automatically, just AiMesh Node got the 5GHz unavailable for manual connection but the clients are able to move on it by their own.