What's new

RT-AC5300 5 Ghz 2 not associated

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hansemanne

New Around Here
Has run this device both with ASUS firmware and Merlin and always with Smart Connect. Realized that no devices connected to 2nd 5 Ghz band but thought it was a balancing question.

Tried out to run bands as seperate ones with different SSID:s and found out that no 2nd 5 Ghz band was available. In log it says for that band regardless of using Smart Connect or not:

Not associated. Last associated with
Mode : AP Only

That to say the 2nd 5 Ghz band is not available for any wifi-klient to connect to.
Perhaps a hardware problem or more likely a settings issue?

with new firmware 2nd 5G is exclusively used for Aimesh to connect to Aimesh nodes - its a feature not a bug ;)

Well perhaps it can be looked at as a feature but I don't see it that way. It would be more of a feature with a simple change in logic. Wouldn't it make more sense if the router, with a little more smarts, dedicated the 2nd 5gHz ONLY when Aimesh was invoked? It's more likely, in my opinion, that Aimesh useage is less likely, as opposed to the average user. As an RT-5300 user, I feel I got shortchanged as well. If there is a way around this difficulty, please educate... My 2 cents

see it in their eyes, they introduced Aimesh and this has been the easiest way for them to do so and they can still sell it as 3 band router :p
They never said both 5G bands are usable for clients in all future ...
Its so easy, take it or leave it, who cares!
I hope you understand what I am trying to say, you wont get any solution for it, neither from Asus nor here.

I believe I do... Cant help feeling somewhat violated though!

Thank you, Grisu, for the clarification. Saved me a lot of exploration for reason. :)

Now I do wonder, though, why I bought this monster router in the first place. Somewhat disappointed. :rolleyes:

Hi Grisu, ,f
MyASUSac5300.png
ancy this? I thought I would take one more look at my logs only to see assignments for both 5G and 5-2G bands. What do you make of this? Am I in error on this as I thought that the 5-2G band was totally reserved for Aimesh?

Hi Grisu, ,fView attachment 18806 ancy this? I thought I would take one more look at my logs only to see assignments for both 5G and 5-2G bands. What do you make of this? Am I in error on this as I thought that the 5-2G band was totally reserved for Aimesh?
which firmware?
There are many complaints that last one will preserve 2nd 5G for Aimesh functionality.
Maybe they solved it with the last, dont know, or it is only unusable when Aimesh active but with LAN backhaul and so 2nd 5G should be usable.

Hi Grisu, sorry, I thought I mentioned that above, I'm still on Merlin 384.12, I haven't installed .13 yet. The only thing I can think of is that my device is a newer one? While I believe that this would be implemented in firmware alone, who knows. I should mention that I'm operating using "Smart Connect" and because it's doing a decent job I haven't tried making manual assignments. I still think I could make these assignments myself for the better, but I haven't tried yet. When I do, I'll let you know the result. I'm also using QoS with the priority task assigned to "Streaming". Other then using OpenDNS, I haven't made any other assignments that might impact the current result.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!