What's new

RT-AC5300 AiMesh Node bounces clients 5Ghz-1<>5Ghz-2 constantly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JDB

Very Senior Member
So I just got a second RT-AC5300 and set it up as a node to my parent RT-AC5300 AP. These are the only 2 AiMesh devices. Both are running the latest 3.0.0.4.384_21140-ge07a2dd

I have a 3rd Asus RT-AC88U acting as the Router running Merlin 384.6 (hence not in the AiMesh) - it is ethernet to the parent AP.

If I connect WiFi to the parent AP all is good.
If I connect ethernet to the node (which then backhauls over 5Ghz to the main AP) all is good.
If I connect WiFi to the node then it is essentially unusable as my Mac keeps getting steered between the 5Ghz-1 and 5Ghz-2 channels over and over!

If I watch my WiFi connection status every 20-30 seconds it switches BSSID! It creates a noticeable 3-5 seconds drop in traffic (which I notice via SSH sessions I am typing in at the time).

As the node GUI doesn't let you do anything I can't changes it's steering properties there. I have ssh'd to the node and nvram set them all to match the parent node but it makes no difference.

I think I'm just gonna send it back as it's useless to me, and frankly my far end of the house isn't that bad coverage anyway so I think I'd rather just live with that!

I know there is a Phase 2 AiMesh beta, not sure if it's likely to help!

Any suggestions on fixing this?

@Wilson_Deng or @arthurlien ??

Would this be a smart connect issue? I am not sure as this is all new to me but I have a RT5300 as Primary and a AC3100 as node and i am looking to add either another 5300 or 3100/88u as a node. I have a large home and also need to get the internet to my shop.

So I just got a second RT-AC5300 and set it up as a node to my parent RT-AC5300 AP. These are the only 2 AiMesh devices. Both are running the latest 3.0.0.4.384_21140-ge07a2dd

I have a 3rd Asus RT-AC88U acting as the Router running Merlin 384.6 (hence not in the AiMesh) - it is ethernet to the parent AP.

If I connect WiFi to the parent AP all is good.
If I connect ethernet to the node (which then backhauls over 5Ghz to the main AP) all is good.
If I connect WiFi to the node then it is essentially unusable as my Mac keeps getting steered between the 5Ghz-1 and 5Ghz-2 channels over and over!

If I watch my WiFi connection status every 20-30 seconds it switches BSSID! It creates a noticeable 3-5 seconds drop in traffic (which I notice via SSH sessions I am typing in at the time).

As the node GUI doesn't let you do anything I can't changes it's steering properties there. I have ssh'd to the node and nvram set them all to match the parent node but it makes no difference.

I think I'm just gonna send it back as it's useless to me, and frankly my far end of the house isn't that bad coverage anyway so I think I'd rather just live with that!

I know there is a Phase 2 AiMesh beta, not sure if it's likely to help!

Any suggestions on fixing this?

@Wilson_Deng or @arthurlien ??

Could you send feedback with system log, wifi log and cfg by the function as Administration -> Feedback ?

Which setting you are using in Smart Connect ? Tri-Band Smart Connect or 5GHz Smart Connect ?
upload_2018-8-14_13-40-5.png

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!