What's new

RT-AC5300 & FW 20379

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I previously wrote this question:

Also, I see ASUS recently updated (March 5, 2018) this FAQ "[AiMesh] How many AiMesh nodes can be added to an AiMesh system?" https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035085

This confuses me. If I use wired connections to the AiMesh router is 2 the maximum number of nodes I can have? Might be nice to add a third wired to the router.
Jim

OE,

Looks like the only way to tell for sure is to give a third wired node a try :eek:. Must admit I'm still confused but if I find a need for a third note I'll try it.

Just wondering if anyone else reading this is using AiMesh with 3 wired nodes and can share their experience.

Jim

The ASUS spec says you can wire 4 nodes to the router. Or, you can wire 3 nodes to the router and 1 node to another node. So, plenty of nodes. Don't add 'em unless you need 'em.

OE

The ASUS spec says you can wire 4 nodes to the router. Or, you can wire 3 nodes to the router and 1 node to another node. So, plenty of nodes. Don't add 'em unless you need 'em.

OE
I read it differently. I read it as you can only have max 2 wired nodes, 4 total, so 2 wired and 2 wireless nodes. No idea which is correct.

Also, is the only way to determine if a node is daisy chain vs star is if it is connected with an ethernet backhaul or a wireless backhaul?

I read it differently. I read it as you can only have max 2 wired nodes, 4 total, so 2 wired and 2 wireless nodes. No idea which is correct.

Also, is the only way to determine if a node is daisy chain vs star is if it is connected with an ethernet backhaul or a wireless backhaul?

I was hoping someone would challenge my interpretation so we could prove one of us right! :)

I reached my interpretation by assuming that you should be able to wire 4 nodes (the max) to the 4 LAN ports on the router... this would be ideal, especially if the router were centrally located. So, if you can do that, and you can daisy chain a node (2 hops), then you can connect 3 nodes to the router and daisy chain the 4th node. What do you think?

Number two is that grey area... how do you restrict/enforce a topology on wireless backhauls when self-healing through alternate backhauls is a feature? So I assumed the constraints are processing resources in the router and node-to-node hops/overhead, not a balance of wired/wireless backhaul types.

OE

Last edited:
I was hoping someone would challenge my interpretation so we could prove one of us right! :)

I reached my interpretation by assuming that you should be able to wire 4 nodes (the max) to the 4 LAN ports on the router... this would be ideal, especially if the router were centrally located. So, if you can do that, and you can daisy chain a node (2 hops), then you can connect 3 nodes to the router and daisy chain the 4th node. What do you think?

Number two is that grey area... how do you restrict a topology on wireless backhauls when self-healing through alternate backhauls is a feature? I assumed the constraints are processing resources in the router and node-to-node hops, not a balance of wired/wireless backhaul types.

OE

What about the routers that have 8 ports like the AC3100 or 88U? :)

"how do you restrict a topology on wireless backhauls when self-healing through alternate backhauls is a feature?" Right, that's what I had in my mind but was hoping for something more concrete.

What about the routers that have 8 ports like the AC3100 or 88U? :)

4 nodes max means 4 nodes max. That much we know. My postulation was about wiring 4 nodes, not about wiring a node to every LAN port on the router. :)

OE

Does anyone here have roaming issue? my setup was AC88U - main and AC68U as node. When I am using my iphone and I walked from AC88U to AC68U, either I got kicked from my game server or my facebook video will hang, and will take some time for it to get back up. Anyone faced similar issue? or Aimesh roaming works perfectly fine? Please do share with me thanks

Is anyone else having an issue with the RT-AC5300 on the new firmware? Mine works perfectly for a little while, then it just stops accepting new wireless connections.

Only error I get is "lldpd[277]: unable to send packet on real device for eth2: No buffer space available"
I've sent feedback and got nothing back, I'm not running AiMesh either; I had to roll back to 380_7743 again. This is really annoying. I have my two 5ghz channels smart connected as one. But thats the only thing I'm doing.

Is anyone else having an issue with the RT-AC5300 on the new firmware? Mine works perfectly for a little while, then it just stops accepting new wireless connections.

Only error I get is "lldpd[277]: unable to send packet on real device for eth2: No buffer space available"
I've sent feedback and got nothing back, I'm not running AiMesh either; I had to roll back to 380_7743 again. This is really annoying. I have my two 5ghz channels smart connected as one. But thats the only thing I'm doing.
I'm running 2 RT-AC5300 routers in an Aimesh configuration and have not experienced this issue. I've actually had really good stability. Did you do a complete factory reset after you flashed the new firmware?

I'm running 2 RT-AC5300 routers in an Aimesh configuration and have not experienced this issue. I've actually had really good stability. Did you do a complete factory reset after you flashed the new firmware?
Yes, everytime I upgrade.

the message will not impact any functionality.

the message will not impact any functionality.
I keep seeing and hearing that, but the fact remains, when my wireless clients stop connecting to the router; that is the only message that's in the logs when it happens. It may mean nothing, but something is obviously going wrong and this is my only indicator when it starts.

Like I mentioned, I grabs logs/feedback and have heard nothing. Is there some kind of bug being looked at for when clients cant connect to the router? The clients can see the SSID, the client tries to connect; it looks like its connecting, then nothing.

Hello, I am having the same issues, I have a ROG 5300 as the main AI-Mesh connected to COX modem which is 12 down and 4 up channels. The AI-Mesh node is a RT-5300, both routers are I hope on the latest firmware(3.0.0.4.384.20648). I have called ASUS to start a ticket, after going over facts, one that I imported the config from my old AC-1900 router(which I can't use in an AI-Mesh network). They asked me to reset the router and start fresh in the O.S. configurations. So after reading many people have a similar issue with device dropping off, router freezing up for a period of time and nodes having an issues staying connected or receiving a strong signal. I know I am not alone. I will reset my routers today and see if I should just go Access point, rather then the benefiting of what the AI-Mesh is suppose to be doing.

So what some are saying is that after any firmware update, a factory reset should be done? is this to clear out older configurations that might not be in the newer firmware or? Can you please explain a little more of what is suppose to be happening in the reset.
Thanks

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!