What's new

RT-AC5300 Getting Rid of Ghost Device From Network List

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pegasus9

Regular Contributor
I had an HP PC several years ago. I got rid of it because it died.

The entry in the Network Map is still there. There is no reserved ip for the device either, it just won't go away.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Have you rebooted the router? What firmware is installed? Do other devices on the network 'cache' the devices the network 'sees'?

Yes, many times. Merlin Firmware Version:386.3_2. None that I am aware of. This is not the first device to leave the network but the only one I am having a problem with still showing up in the router.

Thought rewording this might help get some input:

Deleted PC three plus years ago. Have booted router numerous times since then but the PC still appears on the client list. IP isn't reserved or found anywhere on the network. TRACERT shows no mapping and not held in any cache anywhere I can find.

Router running Merlin Firmware Version: 386.3_2.

Short of blowing the router up, how else can I get rid of it?

Okay, I had an epiphany, tried it, and it worked. Thought I would share in case anyone else ever runs into it.

Gave a second system the offending IP, brought it on line -- bang the ghost system vanished. Changed the IP, leaving the offending ip free to reappear, but so far it has not come back.

When a ghost won;t go into the light, give away its ip.

Thought rewording this might help get some input:

Deleted PC three plus years ago. Have booted router numerous times since then but the PC still appears on the client list. IP isn't reserved or found anywhere on the network. TRACERT shows no mapping and not held in any cache anywhere I can find.

Router running Merlin Firmware Version: 386.3_2.

Short of blowing the router up, how else can I get rid of it?

Does it mean you have not reset the AC5300 in 3+ years of firmware updates?

OE

Go to (Lan/ DHCP Server ) and press the arrow under "Client Name (MAC Address)" "show offline clients list" it will show all present and old devices that have connected to the router, from there you can delete ghost devices.

Last edited:
Okay, I had an epiphany, tried it, and it worked. Thought I would share in case anyone else ever runs into it.

Gave a second system the offending IP, brought it on line -- bang the ghost system vanished. Changed the IP, leaving the offending ip free to reappear, but so far it has not come back.

When a ghost won;t go into the light, give away its ip.
Well, it lasted for only about 8 hours, then the ghost was back.

Tried this and after an hour the ghost was back.
Well that's how i would expect a ghost to behave:):):) joking aside ,try and press "apply" after deleteting it at the bottom of the DHCP Server ) page.

Also go to Jffs/usericons and delete "your-old-pc- mac-adress.log file if exists.

Did so, walked through it again to be sure.

The entry for the PC is the last one in the list and shows active -- even though it does not exist.

I renamed it Poltergeist and it stuck.

It says it is a wired connection. I have unplugged all cables and it is still there.

Did so, walked through it again to be sure.

The entry for the PC is the last one in the list and shows active -- even though it does not exist.

I renamed it Poltergeist and it stuck.

It says it is a wired connection. I have unplugged all cables and it is still there.
have you rebooted the router with all cables unplugged and rechecked?

Yep -- unplugged -- waited five and plugged back in. Still there.

Maybe I need to sleep with the light on.

..and then when I was almost asleep I remembered a file I created five years ago to allow WOL. A JFFS file that had the information for the PC I would use to access my system while on the road. I deleted the file with the old PCs information, rebooted the router -- and the ghost is gone.

This network is ghost free...

..and then when I was almost asleep I remembered a file I created five years ago to allow WOL. A JFFS file that had the information for the PC I would use to access my system while on the road. I deleted the file with the old PCs information, rebooted the router -- and the ghost is gone.

This network is ghost free...
the Wol thing actually crossed my mind ,last knight but then i fell asleep. Im glad its sorted, or is it?:eek::eek::)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!