What's new

RT-AC5300 not passing DHCP traffic

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cpbra617

New Around Here
I recently bought an RT-AC5300 that seems to not be consistently passing DHCP traffic.
I have a separate DHCP server (Windows Server 2008 R2) on my home network.
I have multiple other access points on my home network as well.
When devices connect to the RT-AC5300 router, DHCP traffic has issues. Sometimes the devices get an IP address other times they do not.
If I connect to another AP on my network, I have no problems with DHCP. Only devices that connect to the RT-AC5300. If I replace the RT-AC5300 with the router that it replaced (Netgear) DHCP works fine.
This affects all devices.
Windows 10 laptops
Wink Hub
Android Phones
IOS Phones
etc...

Are all your devices on the same subnet or are you using your router to route the broadcast messages?

Are all your devices on the same subnet or are you using your router to route the broadcast messages?
Yes, single subnet. DHCP pass through works sporadically. When I reboot the router it works fairly consistently. After a few hours is when it starts to fail.
Wired devices are fine. Connecting wireless devices to other APs works fine. I would think that if the router were blocking the DHCP broadcast request, it would never work. Though I don't know where I can go on the router to check this. This is a bit confounding.

Last edited:
Are you on the latest firmware?

Does it only happen on certain WiFi bands (e.g 5GHz-1 and 5GHz-2, but not 2.4GHz)?

I seem to recall people occasionally reporting this sort of behaviour before, but I don't remember anyone posting a solution/explanation. I think you will have to run Wireshark/tcpdump on the client and server ends to see how far through the DORA process it gets and determine where the problem lies.

Are you on the latest firmware?

Does it only happen on certain WiFi bands (e.g 5GHz-1 and 5GHz-2, but not 2.4GHz)?

I seem to recall people occasionally reporting this sort of behaviour before, but I don't remember anyone posting a solution/explanation. I think you will have to run Wireshark/tcpdump on the client and server ends to see how far through the DORA process it gets and determine where the problem lies.
I am on the latest firmware and it is happening on all 3 bands.
I was just kind of lazy and not interested in running netmon on my server to see what is going on :).
Coincidentally, I migrated my DHCP server from a W2008 R2 to a Windows 2019 server yesterday and it looked good for a while. But this morning I noticed my wink hub was not getting an ip address. So back to square 1

Thanks.

I am on the latest firmware
Can you specify which version just to be clear?

Someone reading this 6 months form now would have no clue if it applies to them or not (and, it may or may not be "latest" or important).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!