What's new

RT-AC5300 Wireless Info/Merlin and AiMesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What benefits are you seeing using Aimesh?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

With Aimesh you are transferred to the Aimesh node without breaking the connection. Otherwise your connection will be broken and you will have to connect with the second ASUS again.

With Aimesh you are transferred to the Aimesh node without breaking the connection. Otherwise your connection will be broken and you will have to connect with the second ASUS again.

yes but Does it really work well? I have 3 AC68P routers across 4000sqft, 3 levels. I have them all on the same SSID and have some issues with AP switching - most of the time its not a big problem. If AIMesh is really working proper with AP switching then I might try it again. I did a while back and AIMesh was horrible.

yes but Does it really work well? I have 3 AC68P routers across 4000sqft, 3 levels. I have them all on the same SSID and have some issues with AP switching - most of the time its not a big problem. If AIMesh is really working proper with AP switching then I might try it again. I did a while back and AIMesh was horrible.

Yes, I didn't have no problems. So test it :)

Roaming Assistant may help node steering, but you will not have Smart Connect on the 68Ps to help node band steering. So you will most likely want separate SSIDs for each band.

OE

Roaming Assistant may help node steering, but you will not have Smart Connect on the 68Ps to help node band steering. So you will most likely want separate SSIDs for each band.

OE
I use separate SSID for 5ghz and 2.4ghz, with same SSIDs on all routers.
Thinking I'll segment my wifi network by radio that way... 10x 1080p Cameras get 2.4ghz so the rest of the devices use 5ghz

Thinking I'll segment my wifi network by radio that way... 10x 1080p Cameras get 2.4ghz so the rest of the devices use 5ghz

That would suit AiMesh without Smart Connect... you'll be doing the node band steering manually, so one less variable.

AiMesh 'promises' centralized management, extended coverage, full speed wireless backhauls, and more seamless roaming. But the proof is in trying it. If your routers are wired APs now, you won't have to cart them back to the AiMesh router for setup since Ethernet onboarding is now supported... but I have not tried it.

OE

Did you have problems with Aimesh?

@OzarkEdge -- yes, ethernet backhaul.

@Dave_90 -- yes, lots of problems in early daze. Routers falling offline, etc.

If AIMesh is working properly I'd like to try again... meaning, its much better than the 3 "separate" routers with same SSID I'm using now. I just want better hand-off when I roam around the house.

@OzarkEdge -- yes, ethernet backhaul.

@Dave_90 -- yes, lots of problems in early daze. Routers falling offline, etc.

If AIMesh is working properly I'd like to try again... meaning, its much better than the 3 "separate" routers with same SSID I'm using now. I just want better hand-off when I roam around the house.

Here it works well and without problems all this time. It is therefore advisable to try again. My Node has the default Asus firmware.

Cable modem ->
AC86U (running Merlin as the router with AiMesh options re-enabled via the SSH commands in post #3 and WiFi enabled)
- > 24-port Cisco GbE switch
-> two AC1750_B1s (running stock Asus FW as AiMesh nodes), each using wired backhaul to the AC86U

Talon,

I find your post interesting, can you confirm that your working configuration is
  • in the post above (WiFi ENABLED on Main Router with AiMesh ENABLED via SSH & 2 RT-AC1750_B1 as AiMesh Nodes) or
  • in your signature below? (WiFi DISABLED on Main Router, and AiMesh (Router & Node) on the 2 RT-AC1750_B1)
RT-AC86U (Main Router - WiFi Disabled): RMerlin 384.12_alpha1
-> Wired Networking: Cisco SLM2024 24-port GbE Switch
-> (2) RT-AC1750_B1 (1 x AiMesh Router, 1 x AiMesh Node): Stock Asus FW

Depending on your answer, I may be tempted to try this "unsupported" configuration with my RT-AC5300 Router, to get back my Triband. I have Wired Backhaul from my Router to both AiMesh Nodes.

AiMesh is working very well for me in my environment with all my devices ... my only issue is recent AiMesh Firmware utilize my second 5GHz (2) band exclusively for WiFi backhaul despite the fact that I already have Wired Backhaul.

Thanks

Depending on your answer, I may be tempted to try this "unsupported" configuration with my RT-AC5300 Router, to get back my Triband. I have Wired Backhaul from my Router to both AiMesh Nodes.

AiMesh is working very well for me in my environment with all my devices ... my only issue is recent AiMesh Firmware utilize my second 5GHz (2) band exclusively for WiFi backhaul despite the fact that I already have Wired Backhaul.

Thanks
Why not just try it on your own?
About 10min work and you will see how it does. Enable Aimesh on Merlin-Master with SSH, load AsusWRT on your nodes and mesh them to the master, then change backhaul on both to ethernet.
Save your actual config for all 3 routers, so you are able to go back in a minute to what you have now.