What's new

RT-AC66U B1 - LAN interface acts strangely

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The Broadcom SoC routers (like the RT-AC66U B1) have what I regard as a rather strange default setup. That is the MAC address of the WAN port is the same as the MAC address of the LAN bridge. I can see why that is (all ports are physically part of the same switch chip) but it's "just wrong" in my eyes. So in your case you are plugging two different interfaces into your gigabit switch that have the same MAC address! By using the MAC Clone option you are making them have different MAC addresses (as it should be IMHO). Anyway, that's my current theory.

Unfortunately, this didn't work. I changed the MAC address for the WAN adapter on the "WAN - Internet Connection" page to a different MAC address, but this had no effect on the problem.

I am thinking the only resolution is to use managed switches instead of unmanaged switches and create a VLAN for the internet traffic.

If I do this, then I would need two managed switches?

That won't work because then there's no connection back to the DSL modem. (Remember, there are two interfaces on the router.)
That won’t work because you say it won’t work or because you tried it and it didn’t work?

Somebody correct me if I’m wrong but the WiFi router has input (WAN) and output (LAN). If multiport the LAN also functions as a switch.

At the bottom of your diagram go from link > switch > router TO link > router > switch

Here's why what you are saying won't work:

config1.png

As you can see, there's no way for the router to get to the internet this way.

Unfortunately, this didn't work. I changed the MAC address for the WAN adapter on the "WAN - Internet Connection" page to a different MAC address, but this had no effect on the problem.
Oh well, it was worth a shot. Are there any messages in the router's syslog? I'm kind of expecting it to be freaking out.

I am thinking the only resolution is to use managed switches instead of unmanaged switches and create a VLAN for the internet traffic.

If I do this, then I would need two managed switches?
That would seem to be the obvious way to separate the two networks. Yes you'd need two managed switches, but I don't know whether your powerline adapters might be a problem there.

Oh well, it was worth a shot. Are there any messages in the router's syslog? I'm kind of expecting it to be freaking out.

That would seem to be the obvious way to separate the two networks. Yes you'd need two managed switches, but I don't know whether your powerline adapters might be a problem there.

The connectivity between devices on a powerline network is basically layer 2 (just like an unmanaged switch). I have a suspicion that if I did this:

config3.png

...that I would run into the same problem - because we are putting both interfaces of the router on the same network segment. Not sure why this works with the RT-ACRH13.

It seems the following should work and do what I want:

config4.png

Thoughts?

For the benefit of other readers:

It turns out that creating a VLAN for the WAN interface on the router resolves this issue.

Thanks to all who commented and assisted.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!