What's new

RT-AC66U B1 restart 5GHz WiFi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Frejoh4666

Occasional Visitor
So after a while my 5GHz network goes down to 433MHz, and the only solution I found to get it back to 866MHz is to reboot the router. I tried to toggle "Enable Radio" but it didn't solve the problem. I was unable to find why it gets halved, but is there a ssh command to restart the WiFi? Or stop it from halving the speed.

So after a while my 5GHz network goes down to 433MHz, and the only solution I found to get it back to 866MHz is to reboot the router. I tried to toggle "Enable Radio" but it didn't solve the problem. I was unable to find why it gets halved, but is there a ssh command to restart the WiFi? Or stop it from halving the speed.

866MHz is a 2-stream/2-antenna ac link rate. If it's dropping to 433MHz, then I would look for a loose antenna on either end, starting with the client, and/or failing WiFi radio hardware. Last resort might be to reflash and reset router firmware and/or reinstall client adapter driver.

Or, maybe the router is dropping it's variable 20-40-80MHz bandwidth to avoid heavy radio interference... try fixing it at 80MHz (and use a less crowded band). You can inspect the connection details in the Wireless Log when the connection degrades... NSS is number of spatial streams i.e. 2 dropping to 1.

OE

866MHz is a 2-stream/2-antenna ac link rate. If it's dropping to 433MHz, then I would look for a loose antenna on either end, starting with the client, and/or failing WiFi radio hardware. Last resort might be to reflash and reset router firmware and/or reinstall client adapter driver.

Or, maybe the router is dropping it's variable 20-40-80MHz bandwidth to avoid heavy radio interference... try fixing it at 80MHz (and use a less crowded band). You can inspect the connection details in the Wireless Log when the connection degrades... NSS is number of spatial streams i.e. 2 dropping to 1.

OE

It should not be a lose antenna as it get solved with a reboot, but failing hardware might always be a reason. "Channel bandwidth" is set to 80MHz and "Control Channel" is 48, if I go higher my devices have a hard time finding the signal. I'm also in the suburb, so it is not crowded here. I'm the only one with 5GHz signal and there is around 4 other 2.4GHz signals.

I'll check the log on the weekend and see if I can see anything.

It should not be a lose antenna as it get solved with a reboot, but failing hardware might always be a reason.

Yes, but I try not to rule things out, including the client hardware.

"Channel bandwidth" is set to 80MHz and "Control Channel" is 48, if I go higher my devices have a hard time finding the signal. I'm also in the suburb, so it is not crowded here. I'm the only one with 5GHz signal and there is around 4 other 2.4GHz signals.

That is all good... and you are not using DFS channels. Older clients may not see DFS control channels and/or higher channels so stick to using 36-48 and 149-161 or what works and allows 80MHz bw.

If the 5.0 band was reliable at 866MHz link rates and lately is not, then hardware could be suspect. If firmware has changed much but never reset to its latest defaults and configured from scratch, that would be worth a try to rule out any gremlins.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!