What's new

RT-AC66U features

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I'm familiar with the RT-N66U and RT-AC68U routers, so I was wondering, if an RT-AC66U were flashed with Merlin firmware, which version would be the correct one to use for the latest RT-AC66U routers and would the features/GUI be more like the N66U or the AC68U ?

I'm familiar with the RT-N66U and RT-AC68U routers, so I was wondering, if an RT-AC66U were flashed with Merlin firmware, which version would be the correct one to use for the latest RT-AC66U..
You should use the version for the corresponding router type. Merlin releases versions for both N66U and AC66U.

There is however a new version named RT-AC66U_B1, make sure you take the appropriate firmware:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bkfq2a6aebq68/Asuswrt-Merlin

The RT-AC66U_B1 is like the AC68U. The AC66U_B1 is a dual core processor, USB 3 port in the front, non removable antennae, and does not have bottom slots for wall mounting . I got one to replace a N66R and am very pleased with it! There are several threads about this.

which version would be the correct one to use for the latest RT-AC66U routers

"latest" is a relative term, and does not indicate in any way which actual model you have. The RT-AC66U needs to use the RT-AC66U firmware, and the RT-AC66U_B1 needs to use the RT-AC68U firmware. Make sure you know which exact model you have.

"latest" is a relative term, and does not indicate in any way which actual model you have. The RT-AC66U needs to use the RT-AC66U firmware, and the RT-AC66U_B1 needs to use the RT-AC68U firmware. Make sure you know which exact model you have.
Thanks everyone. I should have made it plain that I haven't actually bought one of these RT-AC66U routers yet - I was just trying to find out how they compared with the RT-AC68U in terms of features when flashed with the appropriate Merlin firmware.

The RT-AC66U_B1 has the same features as the RT-AC68U, which means the whole set of Trend Micro-powered features are also available.