What's new

RT-AC66U on Merlin and Virgin Hub3

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mpuk7

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

Not sure what might be at fault here.
I have a Virginmedia Hub3 in modem mode connected from port 4 to my RT-AC66U.

I can't connect to the router at all it seems. Both Wifi lights are off. All 4 LAN lights and power light are on. The internet light is on static and static green on the port on the hub as well. I have factory reset the Hub3 and can connect to it fine on Wifi and wired connection using the same ethernet cable that goes into the router so know the cable is working.

The SSIDs aren't coming up in available networks before or after the factory reset. It was working fine until some point during the night Tuesday night.

I don't know why I can't see or access the router and why both Wifi lights are off on it?

I'm thinking the router is at fault?

Thanks Colin, I was indeed. Hoping for some Black Friday deals (or as some predict, better prices after). I've been keeping an eye on RT-AX86S and also RT-AC66U B1 as the budget option.

I like the latter as I'm thinking I can reload the config from my existing backup to it?

Seeing the 86s around the £150 mark now. I tried to convince work of my need for a new router for home working but a gaming router doesn't have the best case. We tend to supply Drayteks to customers so was offered one of those...

I've been keeping an eye on RT-AX86S and also RT-AC66U B1 as the budget option.

RT-AC66U B1 will stay on 386 code firmware and won't get much firmware updates. Few security updates perhaps, if something critical is discovered. AC-class routers won't be moved to 388 code firmware. Better get AX86S for longer support and 388 firmware features. "Gaming" router is mostly marketing.

I like the latter as I'm thinking I can reload the config from my existing backup to it?
No, it's completely different hardware and firmware branch. You'll need to set it up manually. Besides, the last thing you want is to import any problems with your old router into your new one.

Thanks both, I'll look into the 86S and see how the prices are. Have seen it down to £139 on Amazon apparently.
Hoping I can get my AC66U back to life to retrieve the config by restoring the most recent backup to it

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!