What's new

RT-AC66U WAN port to LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kevindd992002

Regular Contributor
In AP mode, does the WAN port automatically get assigned to LAN (VLAN 1)? I do see that in Tools -> Sysinfo, the WAN port gets assigned to VLAN 1, yes, but I swear that @RMerlin mentioned that this was not possible at all because the WAN port is in a different physical switch inside the router altogether, so I just wanted to confirm that this is not the case with 380.70? Any disadvantages of using the WAN port as a 5th LAN port?

On the RT-AC66U the WAN port becomes just another LAN port (they are part of the same switch chip). Most people then use the WAN port as the up-link to the main router. That way you can change between AP and router (double-NAT) mode without changing the cables.

Right, that's how I have it exactly configured. It's just that I read in one of Merlin's post a few hours ago that this is not possible so I guess I was just confused by his statement, so I posted a thread to ask.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!