1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC66U WAN port to LAN

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by kevindd992002, Sep 15, 2019.

1. kevindd992002

kevindd992002 Regular Contributor

In AP mode, does the WAN port automatically get assigned to LAN (VLAN 1)? I do see that in Tools -> Sysinfo, the WAN port gets assigned to VLAN 1, yes, but I swear that @RMerlin mentioned that this was not possible at all because the WAN port is in a different physical switch inside the router altogether, so I just wanted to confirm that this is not the case with 380.70? Any disadvantages of using the WAN port as a 5th LAN port?

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

On the RT-AC66U the WAN port becomes just another LAN port (they are part of the same switch chip). Most people then use the WAN port as the up-link to the main router. That way you can change between AP and router (double-NAT) mode without changing the cables.

3. kevindd992002

kevindd992002 Regular Contributor

Right, that's how I have it exactly configured. It's just that I read in one of Merlin's post a few hours ago that this is not possible so I guess I was just confused by his statement, so I posted a thread to ask.