What's new

RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jalilvons

New Around Here
Hello there,

Newbie here, I have just bought this new AC66u, I currently have talktalk broadband, wanted to replace my current HG633 router, however I only had the DSL splitter, but no modem, so I am using the HG633 as modem/general router, whereas the AC66U is being used as a bridge with VPN on.

However the confusing thing is, that the settings on the AC66U are still as a wireless router, and not as a media bridge.

My main problem is that when I power off the AC66U, and remove the power cable and everything, the whole system gets reset to Vanilla Merlin, with all the configurations lost.

Is that normal?

I am using the most newest merlin firmware for AC66U.

thanks

J

What firmware version? Was a reset to factory defaults performed along with a manual and minimal configuration of the router to secure it and connect to the ISP?

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

Thank you, I will try that.

It is the newest firmware, however I did not the multiple reboots as you mentioned, I did factory reset prior to changing firmware to merlin. The set up was manual and secured.

however the router provided by my ISP is the main router, and the asus ac66u is now a bridged router, from which I am running VPN from succesfully, I haven't hard rebooted it so far.

Thank you, I will try that.

It is the newest firmware, however I did not the multiple reboots as you mentioned, I did factory reset prior to changing firmware to merlin. The set up was manual and secured.

however the router provided by my ISP is the main router, and the asus ac66u is now a bridged router, from which I am running VPN from succesfully, I haven't hard rebooted it so far.

You want to default after switching firmware, so that the defaults for the current firmware are loaded, rather than the previous firmware.

You want to default after switching firmware, so that the defaults for the current firmware are loaded, rather than the previous firmware.
Agreed. I always save a cfg file before a full rest, but only use it if falling back to the firmware revision under which it was backed up. Now before a reset, I save the router configs a couple other different ways. First I save all the router config web pages for reference in case I can't recall how something was set. In the past, I used the Firefox scrapbook add-on but it doesn't seem to work for the current version of Firefox I use. So I have an older version of Adobe acrobat that I've been using to save this info. There's probably other good methods I haven't thought of, would love to hear other good ideas on this. I also dump the nvram. Tomato used to have this in the GUI, not sure if Merlin does. I've just been using the putty log feature to show and capture nvram settings. This is particularly useful to capture settings like static IPs in a format which can easily be re-entered into a new firmware revision in a safe manner.

Last edited:
I tried all the things in the link, reset after flashing, however the settings do become lost after removing the power supply from the router....

I've had something like this. My router would reset or it would enter recovery mode just by powering it down (either pressing the button, rebooting in the gui, or a power outage). Actually, I had two AC66U's do this. Although, I'm not exactly sure Asus didn't send me the same device back after the 1st of 4 RMA's. Factory resets or different firmwares made no difference.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!