What's new

RT-AC68R

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mroland72

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

Has anyone been experiencing any issues with the RT-AC68U/R locking up? I'm running the latest Merlin firmware and for the last couple of days, both 2.4 and 5ghz wireless radios disappear and I can't access the router from any ethernet ports. Only solution is to power cycle. I don't see anything obvious in the log files. Thinking of going back to the stock firmware just to see what happens. I just really like being able to track usage on a per device basis.

Thanks,
Mike

Flashed back to stock firmware. Guess I'll see where that takes me. Happened again last night. It's just like it freezes completely.

Do you do a reset to factory defaults after flashing to a different firmware?

Further, did you manually and minimally configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP?

What other options do you change? Specifying the firmware, among other required details, is needed. 'Latest RMerlin firmware' is not helpful at all. What steps if any have you tried to fix this by yourself?

Do you do a reset to factory defaults after flashing to a different firmware?

Further, did you manually and minimally configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP?

What other options do you change? Specifying the firmware, among other required details, is needed. 'Latest RMerlin firmware' is not helpful at all. What steps if any have you tried to fix this by yourself?

I did a factory reset when I upgraded to the firmware released by Asus on 1/9/15 but I don't think I did after moving to Merlin's 378.50 and definitely not after 378.51. It was my understanding that if you were already at 378 you didn't have to. I've checked logs and found nothing obvious.

I thought may have been the external drive I had on the USB 2.0 port so I swapped it out for a flash drive(to keep usage data). Still...same problem. Someone else in the 378-51 forum mentioned they had the same problem and went back to an earlier version and their problems went away. I'l do some more experimenting.

I did factory reset on this stock firmware install. I the only feature I'm really going to miss is the per device monitoring. I like to know where my bandwith is going.

I do a factory re-set after every firmware upgrade. It only takes a few minutes to reconfigure it. If you're gonna play with routers and firmwares get used to it.

I do a factory re-set after every firmware upgrade. It only takes a few minutes to reconfigure it. If you're gonna play with routers and firmwares get used to it.
My network is not as simple as most. I have a lot of dhcp reservations and port forwards(remote access, security, etc) It takes a little while to reconfigure.

Well...my problem is either hardware or it's in the latest firmware from Asus AND Merlin. I restored to factory defaults when I flashed the stock Asus firmware. All seemed well for a couple of days. Got up this morning and no wireless or internet. Couldn't access the router from a wired PC either. Power cycled and all was well again. I guess it's time to RMA it. I need a reliable connection. I'm away from home a lot and have to remote in to my server and security cameras.

Last edited:
Well...my problems is either hardware or it's in the latest firmware from Asus AND Merlin. I restored to factory defaults when I flashed the stock Asus firmware. All seemed well for a couple of days. Got up this morning and no wireless or internet. Couldn't access the router from a wired PC either. Power cycled and all was well again. I guess it's time to RMA it. I need a reliable connection. I'm away from home a lot and have to remote in to my server and security cameras.

Yeah man it has to be a hardware issue. I been using factory and Merlins firmware with out issues. Ran both so far 48 hours each with no issues.

OK...so after doing some research I'm wondering if my server isn't taking down the router. I have Plex Media Server running on it but I thought that Merlin's firmware fixed the miniupnpd issue. With the stock firmware, that is the last message I have in the log before it crashed. Anyone else ever had an issue with it crashing the router?

Yes, I've been having the exact same issue on mine the last week. It's locked up as often as twice a day, and gone as long as 3-4 days in between. I backed out the latest Merlin to the previous Merlin and it seems to run longer between hangs. But just like you, it disables all wireless and wired communications. Have to completely reboot it to access it again.

Yes, I've been having the exact same issue on mine the last week. It's locked up as often as twice a day, and gone as long as 3-4 days in between. I backed out the latest Merlin to the previous Merlin and it seems to run longer between hangs. But just like you, it disables all wireless and wired communications. Have to completely reboot it to access it again.

I did the same. I'm back down to 378.50 and it seems fine so far. I hope it stays that way.

Well...so far 378.50 has fixed my lockup issues. There seems to be something in 378.51 and the latest stock firmware that my router doesn't like. Not sure what that could be but I guess I'll stick with this release. I just like some of the new features in 378.51.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!