What's new

RT-AC68U 386.2_6 DOT problem, DNS failure

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

adiyogi

New Around Here
DNS randomly stops working while using DOT in latest RT-AC68U 386.2_6 firmware. Only way to get it working again is start-stop internet toggle or rebooting router.

DNS randomly stops working while using DOT in latest RT-AC68U 386.2_6 firmware. Only way to get it working again is start-stop internet toggle or rebooting router.
What upstream resolvers are you using? If you are using Quad9 switch to Cloudflare Secure (1.1.1.2, 1.0.0.2). DO you have DNSSEC enabled and if so are there any error messages in the log?

using default ISP resolvers with DOT from provider ControlD, it works fine most of the time but ever since upgrade to 386.2_6, DNS queries fail from all devices intermittently , traceroute to router fails, checked with 2 diff routers, both have same issue.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 1.27.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 1.27.03 PM.png
    269.1 KB · Views: 116
Depends how far back you want to downgrade. Certain older versions will not be accepted, as they would brick newer RT-AC68U revisions that aren't supported by these older firmwares.

just one version behind

386.2_4​

That will be fine, won't even require a factory default reset since it's mostly just a wireless driver downgrade (and a few software packages like Tor).

try disable DNSSEC

I agree, or any other "secure DNS" as I've had similar issues. For me the random loss of DNS was many days aapart.

Morris

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!