What's new

RT-AC68U 386.2_6 - WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly with TekSavvy / Cogeco cable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

automaton

Occasional Visitor
There are many threads about this issue already on snb, for example this one.

I am only creating this new thread to indicate that specifically with Cogeco cable (resold through TekSavvy, though I doubt that matters) there is no current solution to the issue.
If anyone is not familiar with this issue basically every X hours the ASUS router will no longer be able to access the internet and the only solution is to reboot the router. Once the router reboots the internet is fine. I have tested this over the last 30 days to confirm it's not my ISP, and tried the following things (none of which have fixed it):

• DHCP Aggressive (Default) -- this is the worst mode and will drop the connection usually after 12-24 hours
  • DHCP Continuous -- on ASUS FAQ page this is noted to be a possible solution, but it is not for me. It will delay the inevitable to ~48 hours before the problem occurs
  • DHCP Normal with Extend TTL and Spoof TTL on -- this has the most luck, I am able to get ~6-7 days of use before the problem occurs again. But it does occur
Because I am unable to solve this problem I've had to take my cable modem out of bridge mode and set it to a router and put the ASUS into the DMZ. It's a double-NAT and I don't like it but I have no other choice at this point.

If anyone else has any ideas I'm all ears. Thanks for your time.

What's your package speed?
I'm under the impression Cogeco Cable is IPv6 enabled (and Teksavvy should be following their lead - I'm one of their DSL customers and they're clear about native v6)...if that's true, that could get you back to using the modem as a bridge again, as long as you're comfy with a v6 network. Have you tried/asked?
this is an old & likely somewhat out of date: http://www.makikiweb.com/ipv6/blog04_connecting_to_teksavvy.html
also, in case you're unaware: https://ipv6.he.net/certification/

Hopefully this gets you in the mindset of "Where we're going, we don''t need no stinkin' NAT!"
If your issue is a matter of TSI and stirring their DHCP pool up more frequently than they did historically, there's DDNS and the hurricane electric link will get you closer to DDNS and their tunnelbroker.net (which is dead easy in Merlin)...

What's your package speed?
I'm under the impression Cogeco Cable is IPv6 enabled (and Teksavvy should be following their lead - I'm one of their DSL customers and they're clear about native v6)...if that's true, that could get you back to using the modem as a bridge again, as long as you're comfy with a v6 network. Have you tried/asked?
this is an old & likely somewhat out of date: http://www.makikiweb.com/ipv6/blog04_connecting_to_teksavvy.html
also, in case you're unaware: https://ipv6.he.net/certification/

Hopefully this gets you in the mindset of "Where we're going, we don''t need no stinkin' NAT!"
If your issue is a matter of TSI and stirring their DHCP pool up more frequently than they did historically, there's DDNS and the hurricane electric link will get you closer to DDNS and their tunnelbroker.net (which is dead easy in Merlin)...

Hey thanks for the reply. I have Cable 120 Unlimited with TekSavvy.

I'm going to be honest, while I am a software developer I know absolutely nothing about IPv6 other than the IP addresses are super weird :). If that is a solution then I am definitely open to learning about how to do it. I would prefer to keep my own LAN IPv4, if that's possible? If not then it opens up a whole new can of worms.

The core issue, if I understand everything I've read, is there's some bug in ASUS' wanduck code and it just doesn't work properly with some ISP DHCP providers. Cogeco happens to be one of them.

Hey thanks for the reply. I have Cable 120 Unlimited with TekSavvy.

I'm going to be honest, while I am a software developer I know absolutely nothing about IPv6 other than the IP addresses are super weird :). If that is a solution then I am definitely open to learning about how to do it. I would prefer to keep my own LAN IPv4, if that's possible? If not then it opens up a whole new can of worms.

The core issue, if I understand everything I've read, is there's some bug in ASUS' wanduck code and it just doesn't work properly with some ISP DHCP providers. Cogeco happens to be one of them.
Sorry for the delay in responding-

a native v6 connection is the way to go - and do verify with cogeco about v6/cable in your area. if not available, DDNS has you covered.

have no fear - you'll still be able to address machines on your network with the familiar v4 addresses (but you'll wonder how you got away with remembering them when you can just name them as Wife's tablet or Child2 iphone). if your devices are modern and have it enabled, your transition to v6 will be smooth...but if you run into browsing issues, understand that site probably isn't migrated/enabled yet. I've an old beige box pentium with winxp that grabs a v6 when I give it access to WAN...it's not bleeding edge anymore. It works and the world is transitioning out of necessity.

Go to https://ipv6.he.net/certification/ and do levels one and 2...your login credentials from there work at tunnelbroker.net, where you set up DDNS and can claim a /48 ipv6 in case you might happen to want to delve into serious subnetting

it took me a couple of hours, but I had never waded into IP addresses before. You probably know more now than I did when I was nudged in this direction by a networking guy I know (and owe a really nice single malt).

DM me if you need a hand.

There are many threads about this issue already on snb, for example this one.

I am only creating this new thread to indicate that specifically with Cogeco cable (resold through TekSavvy, though I doubt that matters) there is no current solution to the issue.
If anyone is not familiar with this issue basically every X hours the ASUS router will no longer be able to access the internet and the only solution is to reboot the router. Once the router reboots the internet is fine. I have tested this over the last 30 days to confirm it's not my ISP, and tried the following things (none of which have fixed it):

• DHCP Aggressive (Default) -- this is the worst mode and will drop the connection usually after 12-24 hours
  • DHCP Continuous -- on ASUS FAQ page this is noted to be a possible solution, but it is not for me. It will delay the inevitable to ~48 hours before the problem occurs
  • DHCP Normal with Extend TTL and Spoof TTL on -- this has the most luck, I am able to get ~6-7 days of use before the problem occurs again. But it does occur
Because I am unable to solve this problem I've had to take my cable modem out of bridge mode and set it to a router and put the ASUS into the DMZ. It's a double-NAT and I don't like it but I have no other choice at this point.

If anyone else has any ideas I'm all ears. Thanks for your time.

Replying because I have the exact same issue as you. Its only been happening the past few months with my ASUS RT-AX92U
I have also tried what you tried. Nothing works.

I am with Teksavvy who are using Rogers lines. I too have the Cable 120 Unlimited.
I am using CAT-8 (thats correct) ethernet cables as well.

Replying because I have the exact same issue as you. Its only been happening the past few months with my ASUS RT-AX92U
I have also tried what you tried. Nothing works.

I am with Teksavvy who are using Rogers lines. I too have the Cable 120 Unlimited.
I am using CAT-8 (thats correct) ethernet cables as well.
Try replacing that CAT-8 cable with a CAT-5E cable. CAT-8 is not a real standard so who knows what you have.

Morris

I also set up IPv6 properly using HE etc as the one guy above mentioned. Maybe it can help. Who knows. But I will report back in a couple days if the problem has been fixed.

For anyone still reading this, I was unable to ever resolve this problem with TekSavvy on Cogeco lines.

However I have now moved to Cogeco directly (no more TekSavvy) and am using an Arris modem in Bridge mode (instead of the SmartRG). Since moving to this service and modem I have not experienced this issue again. Presumably the problem lies on TekSavvy hardware, although I may never know the true cause.

The physical cable line going to the modem is identical between both TekSavvy and Cogeco, so at least the last mile infrastructure is identical for this test. As a note though TekSavvy / SmartRG were not using DOCSIS 3.1, but Cogeco / Arris are. As well, I picked the SmartRG modem because it has a Broadcom chipset (instead of PUMA) but after using the Arris it's pretty clear the SmartRG is woefully underpowered and with terrible firmware (try to find documentation on many of the features, including the custom SSH command terminal and credentials to get in...).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!